Author Topic: 1 year old - won't let me brush her teeth anymore...  (Read 3104 times)

Offline india's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
1 year old - won't let me brush her teeth anymore...
« on: January 12, 2006, 01:48:51 am »
Hi, any tips on brushing teeth?  She used to love it, from about 6 - 9 months, now I'm lucky if i can get the toothbrush near her mouth.  The only time she wouldn't let me before is when she had a new tooth coming in.  Now she's a year old, and has 8 teeth and won't let me brush them.  I've tried singing songs, etc.  Also tried letting her hold the toothbrush, but she passes it between her hands a couple of times, then throws it on the floor and laughs hysterically. 

Any ideas???

Offline Isom'smom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 14:46:41 pm »
Put something tasty on it.  Chocolate, peanut butter, ranch dressing.  Hey, at least it will get her mouth open. :wink:

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 15:10:59 pm »
Have you tried to brush your teeth in front of her? I hit this phase where dd just wouldn't open her mouth for brushing, but then she saw me one day, and wanted to try. So, she lets me brush her teeth first, then takes the brush in her hands and chews on it for a few more seconds. Atleast its a start.

HTH,

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 16:09:32 pm »
We're having the same issue (and 12 teeth now  :shock: ) Just the other day during a big tooth brush battle I decided to let her "brush" my teeth. It actually worked pretty well! She'd jam the toothbrush around my mouth then let me do a bit of hers. May be worth a shot?

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 21:52:03 pm »
We also went through this and I have to be honest that toothbrushing was not negotiable for us so I held him down.  Is she getting more teeth right now?  That was why Ewan wouldn't let us on there he was getting his molars and it hurt when we brushed. :cry:

Offline india's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 00:21:21 am »
She hasn't been getting any new teeth for a while, so i know it isn't that.  I did try showing her when i brush my teeth, and also tried to get her to brush my teeth with her toothbrush.  She seemed to think that was funny, so maybe we'll keep trying that one for a bit and see how it goes. 

Thanks for all the advice & ideas!! :D