Author Topic: Toddler Night Wakings...  (Read 1056 times)

Offline MommyToIrishTwins

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 12, 2006, 02:37:33 am »
Help! I need some input. My daughter is almost 2 years old. She has been waking during the night just about since she was born!! Last December, we tried the Ferber method of letting her cry and it worked...then she became ill and started waking again. After she was better, she continued to wake a couple times a night. Now, if we let her cry, she throws up!! Even when she's upset during the day and cries hard, she vomits! So I usually take her into our room at night and she goes right to sleep. Do you think this is separation anxiety? Any ideas on how to get her to sleep through?
Michelle
SAHM to Dominic, 2 1/2 yrs.
Samantha, 1 1/2 yrs.

Offline Ricardo's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • June 2006
Toddler Night Wakings...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 02:00:50 am »
Hi Michelle,

Well, I guess I should state first that we really don't address crying out here. It is not the preferred method of sleep "training" per se that the founder believed in.

I think what you will find is that returning to consistency will help your situation tremendously.

I personally would stop letting your lo cry. I think that the vomiting thing is a "learned" ooops that happens from their getting so upset, but I am no expert. I just know that I don't believe in this method sleep training.

The message you are giving is a hard one. During the day you are choosing to let your lo cry to try to get to sleep and at night you are choosing to give it comfort of your closeness to get it to sleep.

If it were you, wouldn't you do whatever it takes to get the latter, including vomiting?  :wink:

Try Tracy's methods.....go to the sleep boards and read up on what has worked for others. We did pat/shhhhh, Ricardo was too heavy to pick up and down. Even at 2 these methods work. Will take longer, but I really think your lo is confused.

Good luck and like I said, read up on what the other mom's have done...it's a world of help.
Michele
Mommy to Ricardo

Michele@thebabywhisperer.com

"Nothing will ever be lovelier than this."