Author Topic: Baby Wearing  (Read 1159 times)

Offline TayTay'smummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Baby Wearing
« on: January 12, 2006, 04:25:01 am »
What do you guys think of the latest trend in parenting, baby wearing. Some celebrities are doing it, like angelina jolie. They carry their baby around in a sling all day, including all around the house, doing laundry, ect. supposed to secure attachment and bonding ? Do you think it's a good idea ? kind of like being a baby kangeroo or little monkey all day :?:
Mummy to Miss Taylor (Born Sept.14/05)

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

Baby Wearing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 04:34:07 am »
I didn't realise it was a new trend, but that's one of the practices of "attachment parenting".  It often goes with co-sleeping and demand feeding to name a few.  I personally don't have a problem with it if that's what people want to do and it suits your lifestyle.  I "wore" my dd a lot more this time around to fit in with my and my toddlers day.  I think though if someone was going to do this, they will also know that their baby will often need help going to sleep as they dont' know how to go to sleep independently, and will need help resettling during the night since they're used to being carried by mum - so it can cause problems, but as Tracy points out, most people who AP don't have issus with night wakings because it's what they expect.

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
Baby Wearing
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 04:50:12 am »
Hi there, I also wasn't aware that it was a "trend". Like Nikki said, it is most often associated with attachment parenting.

DH and I wore Arwyn alot when she was very young. On one REALLY bad day here when she was sick, I wore her around the house but we got nothing done. Sometimes, instead of going for a walk with the stroller, I will put Arwyn in the sling. I like it because it is very handy. I have a sling in my purse, one in the car and one in the house. Even if I have the stroller with me, I have a sling, in case she gets fussy and it really saves my arms and back!
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline TayTay'smummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Baby Wearing
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 19:07:54 pm »
Yeah, I didn't know it was trend either, but it is really growing in popularity, especially in upper class circles with the native baby carrier, ect. I really like the idea in moderation. I like to practice a common sense mix between AP and BW methods. If you wore your baby around all day long, I don't see how your baby could learn to crawl, so in moderation probably good, too much, bad, in my opinion. Thanks for your input ladies!
Mummy to Miss Taylor (Born Sept.14/05)