Author Topic: starting solids  (Read 1283 times)

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
starting solids
« on: January 12, 2006, 13:42:47 pm »
just wondering from others, I did read the article about startng solids and my ds has many mnay of the items listed.....just wondering what others have read when weight plays into the equation.....my ds is 17-18lbs and he is 4.5 months - he was 7 7.5 when he was born - i just started giving him rice cereal in the am and barley cereal before bed and I know they say it doesn't make them sleep through the night but he has been sleeping through every day I have been doing this........ weight must have something to do with it.....allot babies are not his size at 4.5 months.  He is drinking quit a bit in a day too about 30oz's  7oz bottles 4-5 a day usually 4.  Is it ok to add a vegetable at lunch time.....he just seems to need more.  I think the cereal is what he needed just that little extra.....any thoughts?

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
starting solids
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 15:05:48 pm »
In my personal experience, my ped told me only rice cereal before 6 months and possibly some fruit, but only once we got really close to 6 months (as in the week before).  If you're concerned, I would check with your doc.

Offline PaulaP

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 21:18:43 pm »
My DS was also a hungry baby, and I introduced foods at an early age.  I found that the rice cereal constipated him and introduced the jars of food with veggies and meat in them.  He absolutely loved these and have not looked back since.  Even now when I give him cereal (at 6 months), this tends to constipate him, so I just stick to what I know.

Let us know how you get on.

HTH.

Paula - Mum to Thomas - 12 July 2005

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
starting solids
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 21:25:22 pm »
You might not want to give both rice and barley (or oats) in the same day. What you are basically doing then is making it like a mixed grain cereal instead of single grain - much harder for such little ones to digest.

Rice cereal can certainly be binding - so you may have better luck with oatmeal or barley. But those can be more allergenic so just watch for any signs.

As for meat, you should check with your doctor. It's really not recommended to give meat before a certain age because it can be bad for the liver (or maybe it was the kidneys?).

HTH.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
spoke to dr
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 22:28:42 pm »
I spoke to my Dr today and she said weight does play a role in when you can feed them solids....my ds she said is about 1 month ahead in his size so she said she thought it would be fine to start him on veggies - she said orange ones for some reason.......i think anyhow....she said not to worry about it, try it and see what he thinks.....i think i will since my ds doesn't seem to like the cereal all that much.

thanks for your help everyone!!

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!