Author Topic: Early wakings  (Read 1209 times)

Offline EK-Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 12, 2006, 15:10:36 pm »
Hello there:
I have a 6.5 month old daughter (7 months next week) and i'm looking for advice as to how i can perhaps change the e.a.s.y routine with her because she is consistently waking up quite early (5-5:30 am). I introduced e.a.s.y in december'05 and she is now sleeping through the night (so far anyways :)). i find that with the early wakings she is so tired by 8:30 am and it is hard for her to stay up until 9:30. I'm trying PU/PD & shush pat when she is up early (no! not again.... :roll: ), but she just gets furious, so i don't know if i should:
- just start our day at this time
-  get her to bed later? earlier??
-  continue pu/pd and shush pat so she can learn to put herself back to sleep again ( i don't know about this one because she does know how to fall asleep by herself, and she's sleeping through night, so i assume she already learned how to send herself back to sleep....)

I don't know ....please any suggestions are welcomed. here is our e.a.s.y (times are approximate):

5:30 - 6 am:  up and breast feed (bf)
6:15 - 8:30am : activity
8:30 - 9:00 am: breakfast (solids)
9:30 - 11:00 am: nap (1.5 hr max!)
11 - 11:15 am: bf
11:15 - 1:30 : activity
1:30 -2:00 pm; lunch (solids)
3:00 - 5:00 pm: nap (1.5 hr. max)  * naps are rarely continuous. she
                                                  often wakes up somewhere in between
                                                  and needs shush-pat or pu/pd to go
                                                  back to sleep - so different from
                                                  a continuous night time sleep....
6-6:30 pm: dinner (bf and solids)
7:30 bedtime(falls asleep between 7:30 and 8 pm)

thanks!

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Early wakings
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 16:37:24 pm »
Hi!
It is not uncommon for babies to wake between 4-6am and play.  My Zoë used to do this for a while too at around the same age.  When she wakes is she crying?  What happens if you don't go in?

:D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline thitz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
Early wakings
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 19:50:13 pm »
Wow!  Those look like long A times to me.  I think I would put your lo down earlier for both naps and to bed by 7:00pm.  Maybe nap1 by 9:00am and nap2 by 2:00pm.  That second A time is really long and I bet it's overtiredness that's making the second nap not continuous.

Let us know how it works out:)  Tarri

Offline EK-Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 13:55:53 pm »
Thank you for your feedback!

Today, she slept through the night (fell asleep at 7: 45 pm and was up at 05:45), I am feeding her breakfast at 08:15 am and she is falling asleep! but am keeping her up for a bit longer now. I will try to perhaps get her down for naps earlier as you suggest, although I also read somewhere earlier that for early wakers it is sometimes helpful not to put them down so early so that they may learn not to wake up early to start the day. anyways.... to respond to JohnandZoesMom - when she wakes up at 5 - 5:30 am, she is cooing first and babbling for about 10min. which then slowly starts to change to a fussy cry which then escalates, so i've tried pu/pd once , but i feel horrible because i have a feeling that she is just not tired anymore at 5/5:30 am. I don't go in when she is babbling but when the cry gets intense I do respond.

I forgot to mention , i do a dream feed at 11:00 pm.

any other suggestions???

thanks again for your responses!

Offline Windsurfer's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • http://www.crystal-seasons.co.uk
Early wakings
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 14:13:20 pm »
Hi my 8 month old has started to wake up early to, well 6am instead of 7am so I am watching this closely
at the moment i leave him toplay until he cries then i hug him and give him a toy on my lap until i can put him back in to the cot to play. I do not give milk until 7. We try to get him to go to sleep later but he is v v v tired by 7pm and I do not want him to sleep over 3 hours in the day either!!
heres to hoping our LOs learn to sleep longer!!!!!!!!!!!
clare
Life's a journey, not a destination!