Author Topic: awake every hour...  (Read 1371 times)

Offline KERRY&JAMES

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 12, 2006, 20:18:42 pm »
Hello,im new and very grateful for finding this website!!!James is 20 months old and for the last 3 weeks he is waking so much throughout the night,he has only ever slept through about 6-7 times and he usually gets me up at least once a night,but lately it has been even more so and for the last three nights its been nearly every hour,i can settle him within 10 mins by stroking his back.
Also i used to be able to put him in bed awake and he would fall asleep on his own,but for the last 4-5 weeks i've had to stay with him and stroke his back else he screams the place down!!

HELP!!!!!  :cry:

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
awake every hour...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 00:54:52 am »
Hello and welcome!

How old is your lo?  Could you post back and tell us what his day looks like?  When he wakes, naps, eats, bedtime, his bedtime routine, etc.?  Does he fall asleep independently?  Has he always had problems with sleep?  Has there been anything new going on?  Do you have any of Tracy's books, and are you familiar with her methods?

Post back and we will try and help!
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline KERRY&JAMES

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 07:19:38 am »
Hi, james is 1year 8 months old,he used to fall asleep on his own,but he wont anymore.He has only ever slept through the night 6-7 times,most nights he gets me up to cover him up or find his dummy,on a normal night he can wake 3-6 times from the time he has gone to bed.
His typical day is:

5-6.30 wakes (usually 5.30)
7-8 breakfast
11 nap-1hour (sometimes less)
12.30-1.00 lunch
5.00 dinner
6.00 bath,bottle,story
7.00 bed

I have not read any of tracy's books nor am i famaliar with her methods.
Nothing new has happened-apart from christmas and he went to bed 20 minutes later than usual.  :wink:

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
awake every hour...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 17:01:05 pm »
I would highly recommend getting Tracy's third book, where she deals alot with sleep issues in detail, including getting them back on track.
Is he wanting you to stay in the room with him while he falls asleep?  What happens when you put him down?
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

Offline KERRY&JAMES

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 17:32:13 pm »
Hi,
yes he does want me to stay with him whist he falls asleep,i have to stroke his back.When i lay him down he lays straight into his 'comfy' position,but if i dont stroke his back or attempt to leave the room he stands up and cries. :cry:

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
awake every hour...
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 18:05:51 pm »
Maybe you could try just sitting next to his crib and verbally reassure him that you are there.  Then you could gradually move the chair further and further until you work yourself out of the room.  In any case, there will be crying involved, because he is confused with you changing the way he is falling asleep.  If you don't think this method would work, let me know and I can help with another plan.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

Offline KERRY&JAMES

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 18:31:36 pm »
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me  :D
I have tried just sitting by his cot before and he keeps rolling over to check im there and after a while he has a whinge and stands up!!!
I will try it again though  :wink:

Offline KERRY&JAMES

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 09:02:24 am »
Well,he is gradually letting me just sit by his cot without having to rub his back,still waking up quite often though and for the past couple of mornings he has been getting up at 4.00! I hope he does'nt make a habit of it  :(