Author Topic: WHY???? Is he waking??? (looong)  (Read 1071 times)

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
WHY???? Is he waking??? (looong)
« on: January 12, 2006, 23:44:15 pm »
Red is 6 and a half months old. He has been sleeping through the night with a dreamfeed at 10.30pm-11pm since he was 12 weeks old. We went through horrendous night wakings a month or so ago as he was so dependent on his swaddle on paci. So we lost them both and although we had to work to get him napping without them his night sleep immediatley improved.

He is now able to go to sleep independently. We put him in his sleeping bag, give him the lovey we are trying to introduce (!) and leave the room. He chats for 5 mins or so and then goes to sleep. He naps for a duration of time and so i don't think he has a problem with passing between sleep cycles.

Now the night wakings have started again. He went through his six month growth spurt and i did have to nurse him a couple times in the night, but that has passed now and i don't honestly think he is waking for a feed.

His wakings are random and not habitual. He may or not wake on any given night. There are nights when he goes down at 7pm and will have to be woken to feed at 11pm, then sleep until 8am. Conversely there are also nights where he will go down at 7pm, wake a couple times in the evening and need re-settling, wake to be fed at 10.30pm and then wake several times in the night, and he may mix and match those two scenarios, just because he wakes in the evening doesn't mean he will wake in the night. I would say that 2/ 3 nights out of 7 he will sleep through, and the remainder he will be up between 2-5 times.

It doesn't seem to be linked to calorie intake. He can feed poorly all day and go through, or eat like a horse (which he does most days) and wake several times. When he does wake for the day, it may not be till 8am or often later, and he is never desperate for a feed, so going by this he wouldn't be hungry in the night.

He takes 2 or 3 naps a day (is currently going through the stage of not wanting/ needing a catnap in the afternoon, but being severely overtired if he doesn't have one :roll: ) He takes an hour or so in the am, and then about 2 hours or so over lunchtime.

When he wakes he cries, but most of the time it is not a 'distressed, help me cry' (thats how i knew to feed him during the growth spurt - his cry was different - he definitley needed something) now it is more like a mantra cry - loud, but all in one tone, the same waah-waah-wahh over and over. We go everytime and comfort him, we do not pick him up, but place a hand on him tummy/ chest and we may pat and/ or shush if appropriate. Most of the time he will resettle in 5 minutes or so, but other times it can take up to 20 mins, and all of this time he is roaring away.

I just don't know WHY he is waking. It is getting me and Dh down as we both deal with the wakings (bless his heart!). We are so tired, not to mention that it is winter, and standing over a cot in the middle of the night freezing cold is not our idea of fun!!! I just think if i knew why he was waking then i could try to deal with it, but i don't.

If you have any ideas or input, please please please help me!!!!!!

Thanks x x
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline thitz

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 00:00:29 am »
Hmmm.  Something to try...how about giving the df earlier. 

My dd started waking earlier and earlier for the df around this time and I just started giving it to her when she woke.  Where before I would tuck her back in till df time.  But when I started giving it to her when she woke it's like she started realizing that 'when I first wake up I get my bottle and now I can go into my deep sleep.  '  Anyways, she typically woke at 8:30pm for her 4 oz df and it didn't affect her morning wake time at all.  And her night wakings pretty much disappeared :D Tarri

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 00:11:23 am »
Could it be teeth? Or a new development around the corner? Whenever dd has had erratic night wakings along with that same cry you describe it's been one of the two. The tooth pops or she suddenly rolls over, etc. Just a thought...

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008