Author Topic: how to start on easy with 10 week old baby  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Lovejoy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
how to start on easy with 10 week old baby
« on: January 13, 2006, 07:03:58 am »
hi i'm trying to get baby into a routine, difficult at mo as she won't sleep until late.
We start to bath, feed and put her in her cot 7pm and she currently won't settle to sleep until 11.30pm (if we are lucky - and even then with help of dummy) and she wakes up once probably around 5am for a night feed.

i breast feed on demand, normally every 4 hours and then only once in the nighttime (she only feeds 10mins max every feed, efficient feeder and i produce lots of milk)
she normally she wakes up 10-11am which gets my whole day messed up and no chance of routine)
my question is how do i get a daily routine esp if i start to wake her earlier  and she sleeps within an hour as she is obviously tired. 

today she woke at 6am so i fed her, played with her and 6.40 she got tired so i put her in her cot.

how do i start the routine?  Should i wake her up at 9am to feed her?
sorry long post, am new to this and find the book BW a bit confusing

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 09:15:06 am »
Quote (selected)
We start to bath, feed and put her in her cot 7pm and she currently won't settle to sleep until 11.30pm (if we are lucky - and even then with help of dummy).

this tells me she is overtired so once you get her day sorted this should settle down. i went through this with olivia until we got her days sorted out with better napping etc so she was rested by bedtime and went down easily (previously woudl take until 9:30-10:30pm in first 8 weeks)

Quote (selected)
she normally she wakes up 10-11am which gets my whole day messed up and no chance of routine)

as tempting as it is to let her sleep this late i woudl definitely recommend you start waking her earlier to start the day. also, once she starts settling down at night after her bath (instead of 11:30 at night) she will naturally start pushing that time back anyway.  you might (for now) pick a wake time of 7 or 7:30 and no matter when her last night feed was, wake her at that time.  as she settles down if she starts to wake at 6:30am after a full night's sleep i woudl just get her up and start the day then (the set wake time really refers to a "if she does not wake up by "x" time i will get her up")

Quote (selected)
my question is how do i get a daily routine esp if i start to wake her earlier and she sleeps within an hour as she is obviously tired.

today she woke at 6am so i fed her, played with her and 6.40 she got tired so i put her in her cot.

at 10 weeks that is quite normal to have an A time of 45 min - 1 hour and it is great that you recognize when she is tired and get her to bed (this is one of the biggest challenges in the early days as some babies can be very hard to read their sleep/tired cues)

Quote (selected)
how do i start the routine? Should i wake her up at 9am to feed her?

i am assuming you mean after she has fallen asleep around 6:45/7am, then yes i woudl say to get her up after a maximum sleep of 2- 2 1/2 hrs (although that assumes that she woudl be feeding every 3- 3.5 hours or so) Since her A time is still so short i think you might have some difficulty sticking to 4 hr feeds without keeping her up too long which leads to overtiredness. can you give me an idea of how her whole day was today just to give me a snapshot of when all your feeds were, how long she was awake (so tell me when you put her down, how long it took for her to get to sleep - meaning did she cry a lot or settle easily...) so i can see what is going on that is leading to her battle at bedtime that keeps her up so late...

so if you can post like this (even if you don't know the exact times for everything - not sure if you keep a log)
woke : 6am
E: 6:15 BF
A: until 6:40
S: 6:50- 9am
etc etc etc straight through a 24 hour period including overnight

welcome to BW!!!  :D
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Lovejoy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 14:43:33 pm »
thanks Debinoz for replying :)

so if she wakes up at 5am for nighttime feed, i still wake her up at 7am - but do i feed her again at 7am?

also can incorporate easy into 4 hour feeds (makes sense not do feed her more then i need to?)

also we bathe her, feed her and then put her to bed - but where's the activity part come into this ( you surely can't feed a baby BEFORE going to bath)  also she loves bathtime but screams whilst drying so she's not particularily winding down!

cheers

Offline Deb_in_oz

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 01:48:57 am »
Quote (selected)
so if she wakes up at 5am for nighttime feed, i still wake her up at 7am - but do i feed her again at 7am?

at a 5am feed you offer just enough to get them to sleep until "mornign" so if Bf offer 1 side only and can offer other at 7am or 7:30... if bottle fed offer 1/2 bottle since not trying to carry them through for 4hrs etc.

Quote (selected)
also can incorporate easy into 4 hour feeds (makes sense not do feed her more then i need to?)

if you post how you are currently doing things i can see how to help you plan the day better with short A times but with 4 hr feeds. you don't want to feed her more often than she wants but you also want to maximize daytime calorie consumption.

Quote (selected)
also we bathe her, feed her and then put her to bed - but where's the activity part come into this ( you surely can't feed a baby BEFORE going to bath) also she loves bathtime but screams whilst drying so she's not particularily winding down!

you can do whatever works for you and baby.  we always offered ours food pre-bath and top up after bath (with dd1 i woudl offer 1 side, Dh woudl bathe her etc and dress her for bed and then i woudl give her 2nd side. with dd2 we give her her bottle and she takes some, then bath and then finishes her bottle - never had a problem with it).  the crying after the bath is often either 1) getting very tired by that point 2) cranky because wants her food and getting impatient for it and/or 3) overstimulation in the bath time (we notice sometimmes wen Dh gets too "fun" with the girls Olivia will get hyper-stimulated

Offline Lovejoy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 08:20:35 am »
hiya all

this was my routine yest:
Sunday 15th Jan
2.20am 15 min feed

7.05 awake
7.07 BF (5 mins)
7.40 in cot
7.50 SLEEP

11.05 AWAKE
11.10 BF (14)
12.12 COT
12.30 SLEEP

1.17 AWAKE
2PM ASLEEP (IN CAR - SHOPPING)
3.05 AWAKE
3.15 BF (15 MINS)
4.15/30 ASLEEP

5.30PM AWAKE
5.45 ASLEEP
6.15 AWAKE
7.00 BATH
7.30 8 OZ BOTTLE

9.40 SLEEP IN ARMS
AWAKE 10.25
10.50 BF 5 MINS

MONDAY 16/01
3.30 AM 5 MINS

Offline Lovejoy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 11:04:55 am »
Hiya

not sure i'm doing it right?  also as you can see she didn't sleep until 11.30pm :(

Offline Deb_in_oz

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 07:15:37 am »
i replied to your PM. if you want to carry on in PM that is fine (but means it is just you and me) but if you want wider input then post here on the thread (where other mods and members can add their 2 cents)

you will get there in the end  :D  keep up the good work