Author Topic: HELP!!!!! My never picky eater is soooo picky now!  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
HELP!!!!! My never picky eater is soooo picky now!
« on: January 13, 2006, 17:36:57 pm »
My daughter is 20 months old.  For the first 18 months of her life, her favorite foods consisted of peas, spinach, carrots, sweet potatos, etc.  Then she hit 19 months and ever since has refused all veggies (except sweet potatos), refused just about all foods and will only eat mac & cheese, chicken fingers, potatos, grilled cheese, macaroni & meatballs, yogurt and rice.  That is it!  If I even dare put a veggie in any of those, she then won't eat it. 

Any suggestions?  What do I do?  Today she refused lunch and I just wasn't serving anything else ... it was chicken noodle soup with carrots and celery in it. She had it once before and liked it so I don't think that's it. I finally ended lunch and didnt offer her anything else.  She didn't even take one bite!!!!!!!!  I figure when nap time is over, I will offer it again and if not, she won't eat until dinner!

What else can I do?  I don't want her to think she can refuse foods until she gets one of her three favorites.

Offline Poppy & Lily

• Showing Appreciation 79
  • UK
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 19:48:20 pm »
Hi,

Shes at the age now where they tend to get choosy and independant about their food :roll: my DD went through the same stage and i was pulling my hair out but i found eventually she started to eat veggies again in her own time, it's def a phase they go through IMO!

What I used to do was hide veggies in pasta sauces, or i used to make cauliflower cheese which she seemed ok with.  You are doing the right thing by not offering her something else after she refuses he r meal, what i used to do was offer it to her later and if she didn't want it no big deal.  have you tried perhaps offering her things like raw carrots or cucumber sticks with a dip? this could work.  Hopefully she will grow out of it soon. 

HTH  :D
Poppy-lilys mum

http://b1.lilypie.com/rkqp0/.png[/img][/url]

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 21:46:36 pm »
Unfortunately even if I hide the veggies in a pasta sauce, she will find it and not eat it.  It really stinks!!!!!!!! 

Today she refused lunch.  I put her in for her nap and she woke up starving....I gave it to her again, she ate about 1/4 of it and stopped and cried for 45 minutes because she was hungry so I gave her orange.  I figured that she ate hte part that she liked and I couldn't make her starve.  Hopefully she eats a good dinner now.

Offline Poppy & Lily

• Showing Appreciation 79
  • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 18:33:50 pm »
Hi,

Hopefully this phase will pass soon, just keep doing what you do now!! eating 1/4 of her portion is better then nothing :wink: and hey she ate an orange, which i wish my DD would do :roll:
Poppy-lilys mum

http://b1.lilypie.com/rkqp0/.png[/img][/url]