Author Topic: QUICK! DH is gonna need help tomorrow while I'm gone!  (Read 1040 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
QUICK! DH is gonna need help tomorrow while I'm gone!
« on: January 13, 2006, 18:56:52 pm »
Despite our best efforts, Natalie's preferred way to get her drinks, far and away, is straight from the spigot, i.e. ME! :lol: Tomorrow I'll be gone most of the day to take an all-day Montessori class (I asked about it here and everyone said go for it, so I took your advice :)), and for the life of me I don't know how this child is gonna cope, or DH for that matter either. She won't really take a bottle, she'll chew on it and drink a little but not really suck it down for a feed. :( She likes to drink from her little tiny cup (2-oz plastic shot-glass thingy from IKEA) but at 1/2-ounce at a time, it's gonna take her a loooooong time to get enough down to be satisfied.

She's going to have plenty of solid food meals ready for DH to just heat and serve, so she won't STARVE till I get back - leaving around 8AM and returning around 4PM, barring horrific traffic - but she's likely to be hungry and whiny, which isn't going to help with Josie either. Thank goodness one of my music students is coming by at lunch to stay as a Mother's (Father's) Helper; she'll keep Josie occupied painting her nails or whatever, but still, poor DH, and poor Natalie! :(

I've actually tried a sort of sippy cup thingy w/o a spout but no gasket, and she isn't getting that. I also tried a medicine syringe, which she sort of gets, but at 6 tsp to the ounce, a 2 tsp syringe is also gonna take forever and she's still spitting out a bunch of it. I actually have even tried the turkey baster - oy, what a mess! :lol:

HEEELP!!! Suggestions, please!

stasztk

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 19:15:15 pm »
:lol:  Wow Deb you certainly have been resourceful! I wouldn't have thought of all the things you have been trying :D 

Has it been you that has been giving her these? She may just be thinking that mommy is crazy "why would I drink from there when the boob is right there??" Have you had your dh try it when she was hungry and you were not there?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 19:41:36 pm »
She'll be fine! She is 8 months old - on Sunday? - and your dh will probably "appreciate"  :wink:  this time alone with the girls! It will be good for him!

Just leave him some ebm to try to give her some, you may be surprised how much she'll drink. Or she may wait for you. Do you have a cell phone that he could bring her to feed if she is having it rough?

Have fun and report back about that class!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline deb

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 21:17:22 pm »
Quote from: GraceKellysmom
Do you have a cell phone that he could bring her to feed if she is having it rough?

I have a phone, but it's about an hour away. :(

annamum

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 22:46:22 pm »
I am with Stacy, you may be surprised how well she will cope without you. She may drink from whatever you leave your EBM in or wait for you, don't stress out. THEY WILL SURVIVE!!!

Offline deb

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 00:32:13 am »
Went okay! Darned if she didn't go ahead and take a couple ounces from a bottle, and then DH got a lot of what was left into her with a big medicine syringe, and as soon as I got home she nursed.....and nursed.... and nursed.... and nursed.... and at bedtime 2 hours later she finished emptying both boobs again. Actually, she napped BETTER for DH than for me.

The good news: DH says if I want to go and do half-days sometime, he managed just fine.

BTW, having the extra helper/babysitter around was a good idea; definitely recommend for anyone whose DH is reluctant to be home w/kids.

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm glad I went: learned a lot of good stuff at the class too!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 01:29:56 am »
Yay for Mike!  :D
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 01:35:11 am »
You have a fantastic hubby. :wink:
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline deb

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 01:39:11 am »
Quote from: Kayna
You have a fantastic hubby. :wink:

Don't think I don't know it!!! :D :D :D

I'll have to "thank" him later!!! ;) ;) ;)

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 05:34:05 am »
Woo hoo!!! That's great Deb!! :)
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom