Author Topic: Mommy Insomnia  (Read 1500 times)

Offline susanelderkin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Mommy Insomnia
« on: January 13, 2006, 22:38:52 pm »
Has anyone out there battled insomnia?  I am having a terrible time falling back to sleep after getting up to feed my 4-month old.  Sometimes I'm still awake by the time he wakes again, which is utterly frustrating.  It's  become a much bigger problem recently, as he has gone from waking once in the night to waking 3 or 4 times. 

The only information I have found on this problem refers to post-partum depression, and I don't have any of the other signs of that.  Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Offline mickymuscles

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA
Mommy Insomnia
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 22:48:08 pm »
I have!!!!! :shock:   It is so frustrating!!!!  At first it was just insomnia but I think with that being prolonged (a month or more) it seemed to make me irritable and moody.  I went to see my doc and she put me on meds for PPD.  It helped a ton for my sleeping and it did actually make me feel better too even though I didn't consider myself as depressed.  A friend of mine actually had insomnia too but she found out that she was hypo-thyroid.  So if you get your thyroid checked and it is ok, i'd recommend going on meds.  They were difficult to take at first just because it seemed like such a let down, but since I was so sleep deprived I would do anything!!!  :shock:   Now I'm more worried about coming off of them because I don't want to be sleep deprived again!!  On average my doc said you're typically on them for 6months.  I'm not pushing them on you but it did help me with my insomnia.  I hope that helps!!  Good Luck!
Micky
mom to 2 beautiful boys!

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Mommy Insomnia
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 01:24:09 am »
Yep, for the last 15 years.  You name the sleeping pill, I've tried it.  The antidepressants help because they fix the underlying depression if it exists.  There are also several that have drowsiness as a side effect.  You see where that goes.  Most of the things I've tried have various degrees of success.  Have you checked with the night waking board about the little one?  Hopefully they can help that part.  Feel free to holler if you want to talk insomnia stuff.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Mommy Insomnia
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 01:31:07 am »
Yes, I've never been a 'good' sleeper, but since ds was born, I've been terrible. Ds is a great sleeper, but I just can't. It doesn't help that dp is a BIG snorer, and I just lie there getting more and more annoyed. Maybe that explains why I'm here at 1.30am :roll: . For the last few nights, I've been going to bed at 4am, and getting up at 8.30am with ds. I'm NOT feeling good :evil:  :evil: (and look like this :shock: ).

Sorry, I wish I could help, but I just wanted to say that I understand what you're going through. Interesting about the PPD meds, though, I didn't know that. I don't want sleeping tablets in case I'm too zoned out for if ds needs me, but I might ask the doc about the meds.

{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}} to you.
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Mommy Insomnia
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 01:37:34 am »
Caroline, most of the stuff I've tried would still let me wake up to hit the bathroom before DD.  Now I can still hear her and function.  DH and I take turns getting up, I only take Ambien once or twice a week, if that often.  Chat with your doc.  Even once or twice a week makes a HUGE difference.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Mommy Insomnia
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 01:46:35 am »
Thanks Jenn, I will. Sorry to highjack your post, Susan. Maybe it might be worth considering for you too?
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline agw

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Mommy Insomnia
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 05:18:08 am »
I've had this issue since Rowan was born. :( Ever since I had her, MY sleeping has gone downhill in a big bad way. Every time I try to get back into a good sleep cycle, she gets sick or gets me up, or something happens to hijack it again. It's flippin' annoying to say the least.

Usually I'm able to get myself drowsy enough if I take a full dose of diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl, aka Unisom). The problem is that if I wait too long, it makes me groggy in the morning. I need a full 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep to clear it from my system. Unfortunately I don't usually think to take it until it's too late.

I did take Lunesta for a while, and had good results. The drawbacks there were that it required at least 8 hours to clear me and that it left a NASTY taste in my mouth. I only take it now if I really NEED to get to sleep, know it well enough in advance, and don't have to get up in the morning. :)

Honestly, I think one of the biggest contributors to my continued insomnia is an addiction to TV and the computer! I'm working up to giving up TV, especially after dark. Of course, it means missing all of my favorite, not-for-children shows, but I'm trying to convince myself that it's temporary! Sleep is FAR more important for my continued mental health than the slight detox that watching TV gives me. Yes, I AM trying to convince myself here.  :wink:  :lol:

Good luck in working on your insomnia! Maybe someday I'll conquer mine and I'll share my story.  8)
Alicia
Gwynne Katherine - 28 April 2000 Textbook
Rowan Elizabeth - 12 January 2002 Spirited/refluxer
Pampered Chef Consultant (email or PM if you have questions!)

Offline susanelderkin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Mommy Insomnia
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 03:50:53 am »
That's funny about the sunlight.  In Seattle, 27 straight days of rain mercifully ended with a brief peek at the sun this weekend.  Vitamin D deficiency could be part of it.

On the plus side, I've had some success since I posted this topic.  I had been going to bed at 8 - 8:30pm, so that I could potentially get in the hours I needed.  But I realized that going to be so early isn't natural and I was too rested by the time I was up for the 2am feed.  Going to bed at 10pm, with a little of the herbal extract Valarian, seems to be making a difference.  In addition, I instituted the dream feed, and although DS still wakes up twice a night, he only seems to need to nurse once.

I feel so much better!  Thanks for all of the advice.