Author Topic: When should the 5AM feedings stop?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Liam and Shane's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
When should the 5AM feedings stop?
« on: January 13, 2006, 23:35:50 pm »
My ds is 8 mos. and routinely wakes anywhere from 4:30 to 6AM for first morning feed.  As he's gotten older I keep pushing it back.  Now I won't feed before 5AM.  By the way he always goes back to sleep after this feed for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  Some nights though when he's woken up for whatever reason earlier in the night he completely skips this feed or at least delays.  HE does take a full feed but his next feed thereafter once he's up for the morning, around 730 8AM is halfhearted at best.

When should he be off this feed?

Bedtime is around 7 or 730PM depending on whether he had a catnap or not.

Liam 2001/12/22

Shane
2005/05/12

FrasersMum

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 00:03:13 am »
Hi

Are you doing a dreamfeed or is this the only feed of the night? 

There's not really a specific age when LO's won't need a night time feed - some babies drop them all around  a couple of months, others need one up to around a year. 

I think your idea of pushing back the time of that feed is a good one and worth keeping at for a while to see how it goes.  From what I understand, alot of these LO's just decide that they don't need to wake for that night feed anymore and just stop waking (I don't know from experience, my DS still wakes for a night feed  :D )

HTH

Offline Liam and Shane's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 03:17:45 am »
I've never done the dreamfeed.  Only cluster feeding which is now mixed up with dinner time solids so its not really cluster feeding I guess although in addition to solids he's nursed at least twice between 5-7"30PM.

Liam 2001/12/22

Shane
2005/05/12

Offline Beata

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 01:28:26 am »
My dd is 8 months, and I still feed feed her once a night (never at a set time really) but I think that she can (almost) handle if I drop the feed. The problem is she might start waking earlier! And I am not ready for THAT.

More often than not, it's between 2-5. I usually make her go 8 hours without a feed, but now,  if she sleeps from say 7-2 and wakes, I will do pd (she stands so no pu) and she'll make it  until 6 or so. If I feed her then, she still wakes at 7 ish, so I rather feed her at this point than be up for the day. ANyhow, let us know if you drop it and how it goes.