Author Topic: Has my milk come in or not??  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Jessi

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Has my milk come in or not??
« on: January 15, 2006, 05:53:16 am »
I know it sounds like a silly question, but this is my second baby and things are different than I remember them.  With #1, my milk came in on the 3rd day or so and I had painful, hot, rock hard breasts.  This time, it's day 3 and I haven't had that yet.  Yesterday I did notice them starting to feel tighter and they're definitely fuller, but is that it?  Did I get off easy this time?  Is your body just more used to it the second time around?

Also, I've noticed that what dd is getting is VERY yellow.  Is this normal?  Is this still colostrum?  Again, I don't remember my milk being this yellow.

Thanks!

Jessi

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 10:18:20 am »
I shouldnt be too concerned about your milk it sounds to me as though you have just been luckier this time, with my DS I hardly noticed any change when my milk came in. Remember that this is the second time round so your body far more effienct at doing its job, it is possible that you may not even leak this time as your breats know round about how much milk it needs to make this time round. Also it still is only day three if I remember rightly your milk can come in anything up to a week after baby is born.

As for DD being yellow, it is probally jaundice which is quite normal in a newborn. Make sure she eats plenty and if you have a big window you could place her under so she gets plenty of light. If your midwife isnt coming round today maybe just give her a call if your worried. I remember DS was so yellow when he was born that I couldnt put him in any of his lemon babygrows because he clashed with them :oops:

Hope this helps

Nome
X
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline Jessi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 16:40:35 pm »
I didn't mean dd is yellow.  I was talking about the milk/colostrum I've pumped so far.  I just don't remember milk being this yellow, which is why I'm wondering if it's still colostrum.  Anyone know?

Offline Fife_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 18:11:40 pm »
Hi,

I also found that second time I didn't get engorged so it wasn't that obvious when my milk came in - other than the change in A's nappies!
I searched using google on milk colour and colostrum and found this info for you:
The color of human milk can vary. Colostrum is generally yellow to yellow- orange. The transition from colostrum to mature milk can take about two weeks to complete. During that time, the color changes gradually to a bluish white color. However, the color of mature milk may change because of mother's diet or medications. Food dyes used in carbonated sodas, fruit drinks, and gelatin desserts have been associated with milk that is pink or pinkish orange. Greenish milk has been linked to consuming green- colored sports beverages, seaweed, or large amounts of green vegetables. One woman consuming a certain prescription medication reported black milk. Frozen milk may look yellowish.

So nothing to worry about  :)

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 19:30:40 pm »
LOL, sorry I've got complete 'mummy brains' at the minute! :oops:

Nome

x
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline Jessi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 19:47:24 pm »
Thanks so much for looking that up!  I figured everything is ok, but just needed a little reassurance, I guess.   :) Thanks so much!

Jessi

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 19:49:29 pm »
Congrats on having your baby!

The second time around was less "oh my gosh what is happening to my body" and less engorgement/pain/swelling for me too. You know what to expect and you aren't quite as surprised by it as the first time.

Good luck and enjoy these first couple of weeks!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies