Author Topic: help w/dropping df  (Read 907 times)

Offline MCGoldsmith

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
help w/dropping df
« on: January 15, 2006, 15:36:03 pm »
Anyone have any advice on cutting out the df while breastfeeding? I'm not sure how I need to go about this. Should I try cluster feeding in the evening? He will be 6 mo's on the 18th and started solids on the 1st of this month. As recommended by BW I have just been gradually adding by the tsp for 1st and last feed of the day and as I'm introducing more I am thinking it may be time to try cutting the df out.  :?: BW suggests starting solids at 6 months, and cutting out the df at 7 months. My question is since she suggests gradually "upping" amount of solids that by the 3rd week baby should be taking in more... So.... I just wonder if that has something to do w/the suggestion to drop the feed then. If so I feel like I should try now but am not sure how much he actually takes during the df. Also- for the past week when I go into his room to df he wakes up.  :shock: Whats going on here? Has anyone had this happen w/your lo?
Thanks for any advice.
Meredith

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
help w/dropping df
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 19:46:38 pm »
If he's waking, it's not really a dreamfeed anymore?  :wink:

You could try just not doing it and seeing what happens. A mom last week did and her baby just slept through!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline mango_baby

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
help w/dropping df
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 20:55:33 pm »
Hi,
 I tried to stop the DF be doing it earlier and with a less amount, but my lillt one began waking up at those earlier times to feed. The whole thing didn't work for us, so I decided to just drop it altogether and he didn't even wake up. He may have at some point in the early am, but I just PD and he drifted back off.
I think for some , it only works to completley drop it. I know this was a huge relief for me, just knowing it was okay to do this, and knowing he was okay too.

HTH,

Melissa

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 18:57:45 pm »
We gradually moved in up ending at 8:30.  I fed her a couple nights at that time, and then last night (for the first time) eliminated it.  She slept thru with no problems!  :D

Good luck!!
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)

Offline nwrinkle

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
help w/dropping df
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 16:20:39 pm »
I was the mom who tried it last week and it worked!  We tried to gradually move it up with our 9 month old daughter, but it is so hard trying to guess how much she was taking.  We used to do the df around 11pm and for the past couple months she would wake up in the middle of the night.  It wasn't always to eat, but I figured it had something to do with the df.  Now, I feed her at 730 for bedtime and she sleeps straight through till about 7am!  It is great!
So, I would definitely recommend just going cold turkey and see what happens!  Good luck!