Author Topic: Growth Spurts  (Read 1416 times)

Offline mumofboyandgirl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:43:26 am »
Hi

We are on a 2 hour EASY as DS only naps for 40 minutes (but sleeps for 10 hours at night), he is 8 weeks old and has been having short naps for a while, i cant settle him after the 40 minutes no matter what I do (I can't even feed him to sleep). SO I was thinking maybe its a growth spurt, how long do they usually last?

Belinda

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Growth Spurts
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 16:22:44 pm »
GS vary between each baby, but can last 1 day to 1 week.   What is his temperment, and what does your day look like?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline mumofboyandgirl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 21:21:43 pm »
Hi

He is a pretty relaxed baby. Goes to sleep in a few minutes of patting shhing, but then wont resettle for the next sleep cycle so our days look like this

7am - up feed play
8.30 - bed
9.00 up feed play
and continues like this his last nap which he gets up at 5.00 then he feeds at 5pm bath play etc then at 6.30 he gets his last feed but wont go down until he is asleep on the breast which is around 8pm, then he may or may not wake for a 4am feed - then back up at 7am.

Because of his short naps I was desperate for some structure and decided just to feed him and start EASY when ever he woke, but now I am worried I have trained him to be a snacker - although he is 8 weeks and still feeds for 30 minutes each time so not like he isn't taking it.

I am at a loss - not really sure where to go from here.
Belinda

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Growth Spurts
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 02:46:28 am »
Well, if your lo is a short napper, you will need to do an EASAE type of routine until you can teach him to sleep through the transitions and take longer naps.  I urge you to try Tracy's shh/pat method, or a variation of it to suit your lo.  I would try to stop feeding him right when he wakes up unless there is a problem with his feeding and he's truly hungry from not eating properly.  You may get some resistance at first, but I think he should be feeding every 2.5-3 hrs.  My dd used to nurse for 40 mins ( :shock: ), but I didn't realize she was comfort suckling.  I'm looking at pg 98 in the BW Solves all your Problems book.  Tracy says his need to suckle can be confused with hunger, or that you should check for proper latch-on and do a yeild to rule out any problems.  Have you check on the breastfeeding boards to see if anything there might help?  She says you can try to substitute a paci (if he takes one) and see if he holds over past 2 hours.  I don't want to reiterate the whole thing if you have the book, but if you don't I certainly will.  In essense, the longer you can hold him off, the more consistant he will become at feeding at more regular time intervals and hopefully reduce the snacking if that's what you think it might be.  Of course, if you suspect any problems with his weight gain or your supply, always check with a doctor.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007