Author Topic: Throwing food over board!  (Read 1057 times)

Daniel's mummy

Throwing food over board!
« on: January 15, 2006, 19:16:44 pm »
How do I get my 11.5 month old to stop throwing food off his high chair tray?  I know this is not a HUGE peoblem, but it sure is getting to be VERY annoying :x   One minute he is eating something (picking it up off tray and feeding himself) then the next he's spitting it out and throwing it on the floor.  So far this is what we do when he throws food.  Any advice would be great as he seems to do it just as much. 
We take both hands and hold them on the tray.  Say 'no' very firmly and explain that the food goes in his mouth (point to his mouth).  But 9 times out of 10 when we let go of his hands he grabs another piece of food and drops it over (whilst keeping steady eye contact with us :? )  I'm wondering whether we should just ignore it but then dh wonders how he'll ever learn not to do it?
Sheesh, I didn't realise these kind of things happen so early on.  I thought we had at least another year  :wink:

TIA

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 20:37:45 pm »
Hazel, no suggestions, just interested in the answer as well!  Ethan does this all the time.  And it's not like he's full, cause before and after doing this, he'll continue to eat.  It's almost random when he decides that this handful will be a good one to throw over the side!

Granted our dog appreciates it, but I don't!

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Throwing food over board!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 21:35:14 pm »
Quote (selected)
I'm wondering whether we should just ignore it but then dh wonders how he'll ever learn not to do it?

I would kind of ignore it and certaily don't laugh as that will encourage it... this behavior is totally normal and is all about exlporing gravity - what happens when i throw this down - oh wow it goes to the ground, etc  As they get older it can be about testing limits (pushing our buttons etc) but at this age it really is about either exploring or telling you a message (don't like a food or meal is finished so now i will play games)

he'll learn to not do it when he passes this stage. i assure you alex was not doing this anymore after the stage - and now that she watches olivia do it she will occassionally toss her drink or food to the floor and i explain to her that we do not do that (and liv is just learning this....)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified