Author Topic: Excessive spit-up, Overfeeding???  (Read 974 times)

Offline jessmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Excessive spit-up, Overfeeding???
« on: January 15, 2006, 21:42:20 pm »
Hi there
My DD is just over four months old and has always spat up quite alot, however it seems that it is progressively getting worse. She will spit up after feeds, on the floor, in her car seat amd more recently even after a 2 hour nap.
I am getting a little sick of sick!! I do worry though that perhps she is getting too much food or there is something wrong but am not sure what to do.
Here is our schedule

7am feed
9am sleep
11am feed
1pm sleep
3pm feed
4.30 nap till 5.15/5.30
6pm feed
7pm sleeps through till 7am

As you can see there are only 4 feeds and i definitely dont want to drop one, she feeds about 5 mins each side. I wondered if perhaps when she starts solids she will start to take a little less milk but am not ready to start these this early.
Not sure what to do
Any ideas??
Jen

Offline jessmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 21:46:29 pm »
BTW she is also over 18 pounds and still gaining weight steadily so definitely not affecting her growth. is it something i just have to put up with??!!

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 01:07:17 am »
Glad to hear you want to wait to start solids. :D As for the spitting up - she's probably moving around a lot more, so that can be a big factor.  I don't think it's overeating or because she's getting *too much*.  She's just taking in what she needs.  :wink: Most babies will eventually outgrow this.  Some babies with reflux spit up a lot - I don't know enough about that to comment, though. See if you can work on burps and other than that, you might just have to wait a month or 2 for this to even out - I think my nephew (who was similar - holy cow, did he puke a lot!) settled down around 5 or 6 months.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 01:21:47 am »
Like Erin said lot's of babies with reflux spit up a lot. But having reflux isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most babies have some degree of it. The four month mark is usually a big spit up time too. My doctor calls babies who have reflux but aren't bothered by it "happy chuckers." If she's gaining weight well and is happy I do think you're going to have to wait for her to outgrow it.  :(  I think we had dd in sleepers and bibs until she was about 8 months due to all the vomit!  :roll:  :lol:
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008