Author Topic: 5 day old - single or double side feeding?  (Read 792 times)

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
5 day old - single or double side feeding?
« on: January 15, 2006, 22:13:24 pm »
Hiya ladies!  Things are going well, but wondering about single sided vs double sided feeding in the beginning (5 days old).  Often times ds only wants to eat from one side and even then, not for very long.  He then still makes it 2 1/2 to 3 hours till the next feed.  My question is should I even be trying for both sides or just get a longer feed on one side or neither?   :D   He's wetting and pooping fine so I think he's doing well, but his feeds are often short and I really have to work to keep him awake and still eating and even then I think the longer feeds he's really just eating at the beginning and then sucking for a long time cause I'm making / letting him.  TIA

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 00:48:19 am »
In the early days I could only get Grayson to eat off one side.  I had a TON of milk so it was way more than enough.  I did pump the other side but I had an obsession about my supply :roll:   Now I feed on both sides and he does just fine.  I think it is more of a personal preferance.  Also I had trouble remembering what side I fed from last so I left the side of my nursing bra unhooked reminding me of the side I need to feed from next :lol:
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 01:02:15 am »
If you're happy with single-side feeding and your supply is good, then you can start this young.  Make sure to get a full feed from the one side, though - breast compression, burp and put him back on, etc. Just watch for ongoing good weight gain, and then do what seems to work best for both of you.  :D
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha