Author Topic: When do they outgrow the jolts?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
When do they outgrow the jolts?
« on: January 16, 2006, 01:10:33 am »
Did a search on this topic and couldn't find an answer.  Does anyone know when they outgrow the jolts?
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 01:15:05 am »
I don't know if they ever do, I think they just learn to go back to sleep after one.  Lindsey still does this.  We were on the way home from Texas today and on the plane she was sleeping and she still had a few jolts before she went into the deep sleep.  I do think as they get older their sleep cycles become more adult like but I have also read that their sleep is not total adult like until they reach age 3.  By that I mean they will enter sleep through deep sleep and not rem or the lighter stage first.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong because I could be but I think this is right.  :wink:
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 01:19:27 am »
Oh no!!!  DDs jolts are so bad, they practically launch her out of the crib.  It usually takes both DH and I holding all of her limbs to keep her somewhat still.   :cry:
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 01:24:22 am »
Are you guys swaddling her?  That really helps keep the jolts from waking them up so bad.  What worked best or us was not trying to swaddle until she was actually in the lighter stage of sleep so she would not fight it so much.  And get it tight if you can.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 02:05:51 am »
We just stopped a couple of weeks ago cuz Houdinia was getting halfway free and yanking the blanket over her head.  I tried the Aussie Swaddle, but couldn't figure it out.   :oops:

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 04:51:10 am »
there is a post somewhere on here that gives step by step instructions and pics on the aussie swaddle and it works great and is relatively easy after the first few times...dd no longer fights the swaddle or throws a tantrum as soon as i start...i think she actually likes it..secure yet a little free. (sorry i don't know where the post is  :oops: )
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 05:04:38 am »
I printed the posting and all of the pictures and instructions and STILL couldn't get it tight.  Maybe too small of a sheet or something, but I could never get it snug and still hold her hands near her face.  So, we just dropped the swaddle altogether.  Plus, I was starting to get concerned about the amount of time that her arms were being "bound".  When I totaled up the hours of naps and overnight sleep, it seemed like an awful lot.  I felt like it would stunt her developmentally, although I don't think it has.  And, finally, she'll be starting daycare in a little over a month and wanted to have the swaddle fully dropped by that time.  So, I guess we're stuck with the jolts.  Oh boy!

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 05:07:32 am »
sorry i couldn't help more - good luck!..i know how frusterating it can be for everyone - we have a jolter on our hand too...just make sure she goes down for nap/bed at very first tired signs as i know our lo jolts more the more tired/overtired she is.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 18:06:00 pm »
According to another book I read, sleep is adult like after the day development period. However, the jolts are still there, but they are less obvious. I know I barely notice the jolts in my 8.5 month old. She just falls to sleep (after some fussing :P).

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005