Author Topic: Stopping the bedtime BF for 10 month old  (Read 809 times)

Offline Mae & Kate's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Stopping the bedtime BF for 10 month old
« on: January 16, 2006, 03:40:28 am »
Does anyone have advice on how to cut out the bedtime BF? Mae is almost 10 months and I would like to stop BF soon.  All other BF have stopped recently, this is the last one. She drinks from a sippy cup now(...would never take a bottle). I tried her the other night and she cried for the breast. I am not is a big hurry to stop but I am wondering will it be harder to stop later? Does anyone have experience here and could share their story. Thanks
Bonnie

Offline deenz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 07:44:45 am »
The way I did it (which was a slow way) was to move the bf gradually so that it was less and less part of the bedtime routine.  She used to have solids, bath, massage, story, bf, bed.  Then I moved the bf to before the story for a while, then to before the bath (straight after dinner).  So then it was kind of separated from actually going to bed.  Then I finally dropped it.  This took a few months, but dd had no probs with this at all.

Offline SophieB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 07:59:11 am »
I did something similar - making the BF seperate from the night routine - and also started reducing the BF time and taking a sippy in, too.  I'd offer the sippy first, one side, then sippy, then the other. 

After a while I dropped the second side (ie, sippy, breast, sippy), and kept reducing time on the breast by a 2 minutes or so every 2-3 days.

It took about a month, all up.
Eleanor - 13/12/04

Offline Mae & Kate's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 01:43:05 am »
Thanks! I'll try it! great ideas!
Bonnie