Author Topic: Getting Discouraged with EASY  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
Getting Discouraged with EASY
« on: January 16, 2006, 05:22:04 am »
We used pat since we brought Katie home, the shh didn't work until about 8-9 weeks and when it started to work, we used it.  We didn't have any problems putting Katie in her crib drowsy, or even drowsy awake but now if we even start to lean over to put her in her crib, she starts to scream.  This isn't a mantra cry, letting off steam - this is a "I'm going to pop a blood vessel" scream.  Pat/shh is so last week for soothing her!  It doesn't do a thing now.  So, I started to think we need to to PU/PD and was really dreading this new chapter.  I thought that establishing a good foundation at a young age would prevent this.  That's why I patted til I thought my hand was going to fall off.  That's why I stopped cuddling my DD to sleep weeks ago.  That's why I quit using the swing for naps weeks ago (except when I am TOTALLY desperate - and it doesn't even work all the time anymore).  I'll admit that I do run errands and get out of the house for my own sanity and when Katie is having a complete meltdown from being overtired, I do resort to AP.  But, I thought Tracy said EASY was a way to balance the babies needs and the family's needs - not letting one monopolize the other. 

Her feeds are getting terrible again - she's only hungry after 4.5-5 hours (seems too long a span for a 12WO) and A time is all honked up too.  Some days she can only go 30 minutes, some days 2 hours.  I watch her like a hawk as she never uses the same sleepy cues and her A time depends so much on her overnight and daytime sleep. 

It's just very discouraging.  All that work and now I feel like we have to start over from square one with PU/PD.  Was the last 12 weeks just a total waste of time?  CIO/CC doesn't seem so bad - quick like a band-aid...yeah, I know it's not overnight, but it's gotta be quicker than starting over after 12 weeks. 

Sorry for the long negative message...it's pure chaos at our house and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 05:46:04 am »
Casey,

It sounds like your lo is ready to move to 4 hour EASY. Are you still on 3 hours? My DD did this when she was around 4 months... just screamed when we put her in her crib... we literally had to pin her down to the crib with our body and limbs AND pat her before she could settle down and fall asleep. We also, did not swaddle Arwyn from early on... I know you no longer swaddle Katie (read your other post). What I did though, was what I called "pseudo-swaddle". I picked Arwyn up (over my shoulder hold) and placed a blanket over her and then tucked the left and right ends between me and her. She then, can't thrash her hands around while I am holding her.

You are doing everything right... from you post, I can tell that you are doing everything you can, to get Katie to sleep independently. Give yourself a break too... work on one thing at a time. Pick the nap you want to devote your 100% to and then do what you need to do for the other ones. When you see success, and you will... then pick another one.

PU/PD does work... I have done it myself to teach independent sleep and to extend naps. I am now, doing PD to teach independent sleep, yet again, due to loads of accidental parenting. So... stick with it Casey... EASY isn't always easy but it is worth it. If you put in the time now, it will pay off. It is frustrating while Katie is getting used to it but she will.

You are doing great! Hang in there... there is an end in sight... you may have to do alot of searching, but it is there. Count every little success as a step towards your goal!

Loads of {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you.
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 16:47:03 pm »
She's actually on a 4hr EASY, but I think we're going to switch to a  4.5 - 5hr EASY since she's just not hungry.  We're going to try another different formula to see if that will help her constipation.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 01:26:54 am »
Hang in there, Casey.  You are doing everything right.  I know you are concerned about the spacing between her feeds, and if you suspect any tummy troubles I really think you should see her ped.  My dd was a very unsettled baby for several months.  But once I did pu/pd it did work.  Are you consistent with your winddown routine.  That really helps.
I realize that it's so frustrating when something that worked before doesn't work any longer.  But that's really how it seems to go for every baby.  You're not alone in this.  They are constantly changing in leaps and bounds, and just when you think you have it figured out, something else changes.  But these drastic changes will settle down in a little while. 
HUGS to you.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007