Author Topic: Baby not gaining weight  (Read 1321 times)

Offline kshah

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 16, 2006, 14:12:10 pm »
My baby is 5 months old and fully breastfeed. He weighs 6.24 Kg but is only putting on 1 ounce a week for the past month so we have been refered to the paed. But problem is that I have to wait a month - that's for an emergency appt. Please help. I don't know what to do in the meantime. Breastfeeding is a battle. he is constantly distracted and as the flow of milk slows down he stops and then does not go back on. I'ev tried everything- increasing supply which was successfull but still the same prob.

No prob latching on as he gained weight the first 3 months fine. This week I have been expressing giving this so I have some idea how much he is drinking and started solids. But not sure whether to make a couple of the feeds formula to bump up his weight. GP says not to change anything but i can't let it go on an longer.

Any advice. At my wits end""

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Baby not gaining weight
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 19:23:09 pm »
At my wits end seems to be the popular phrase around here lately.  :roll:

Quote (selected)
GP says not to change anything but i can't let it go on an longer.

Why would you go against this advice?

Why don't you start with your current routine and I'll see if I notice anything that can be changed. It sounds like you've already done everything you can though?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
Baby not gaining weight
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 00:47:49 am »
Just something to consider...I know a lot of babies that plateau in their weight gain around 5 months, then start gaining well again...
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline kshah

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 09:52:53 am »
Thanks for replying back.

He has been putting on 1 ounce since he was 3 months. HV suggests solids now whereas GP says not to so don't know what to do. Here is my routine. I am on 4 hour EASY.
7:00 BF ( off and on till 8!)
8:30 Breakfast
9:00 Nap
11:00 BF
12:00 Lunch
1:00 Nap
3:00 BF
5:00 BF
7:00 BF
11:00 Dreamfeed

Prob I think is breastfeeding. He never stays on long enough to get a proper feed. He might drink for 5 min then refuse to go on. Then 30 min later drink some more. After an hour of off and on I don't give him anymore because I think it would interfer with his next feed or become a snacker. Am I right in doing that? Prob is then wakes up early from nap bacause he is hungry

So next step was to express and give him that in a bottle. Some success because he drinks about 3 oz then another 3 20 min later. When I do this he seems to get a good nap. Can stick to this and then stick to bf at night. But should I still offer some solids?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Baby not gaining weight
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 20:01:01 pm »
Solids aren't recommended for a baby under 6 months old, but you're getting close to where he may be ready.

When you feed, are you single side feeding or double? Have you considered doing a 3 or 3.5 hr EASY instead of 4 to increase your supply and get more calories in him during the day?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline {{{Angela}}}

• Showing Appreciation 12
    • pillowhead designs - hand embroidered goodies
Baby not gaining weight
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 20:07:24 pm »
I'm not sure if this helps, but at around 4 months, DS was VERY distractable on the breast and went on a bit of a nursing strike for 1 week.  I ended up breastfeeding in a quiet, dark room, with no distractions (door closed, no music, nothing).  That is how we BF'ed for the next 10 months.  So I don't know if you've tried that already.  Good luck.
Angela
mommy to Xavier and Zinnia

hand embroidered goodness at http://pillowhead.etsy.com