Author Topic: Not napping!  (Read 1163 times)

Offline aat27

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 16, 2006, 19:00:46 pm »
My daugheter is 11 week and has always been a great nightime sleeper, but average napper, usually sleeping for 40 minutes in her crib and then waking up and only able to get back to to sleep in her swing (which we turn off when she is asleep).
 Her awake time is usally short, only abuot 40 minutes, although the last few days she has been more alert and smiley during this time.  She's  still cranky at the end of the of the hour.
As of a few days ago she will not sleep in her crib during the day, nor her swing for that matter.  She will go down in the crib and talk for 45 minutes to herself and then start to cry, in the end she completely skips sleeping.  By the end of the day she has awake time after eating, and talk and smiles and then by the time she is tired cannot be put down without a meltdown. 
Last night my husband had to hold her for an hour prior to bed.

Two nights ago she started sleeping 9 hours through the night (8:30p-5am) , but during the day she is NOT napping.  So far today we have had twenty minutes in the crib.

I thought the 40 minute naps were bad, but this is killing me.  I go back to work next week and I am not sure what to do.  Any advice?

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Not napping!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 04:45:52 am »
Hi, i am sorry you and your LO are having such trouble. 

Quote (selected)
She will go down in the crib and talk for 45 minutes to herself and then start to cry, in the end she completely skips sleeping.

Can you please tell me what happens next..when she starts crying?  What do you do? 

I'll check back.

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
Not napping!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 05:03:02 am »

Offline aat27

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 22:14:47 pm »
that other note could be mine!  we have had much better success in the last day and a half.  she is going down in her crib an sleeping for 45 minutes.  I am doing a more consistent wind down.  the 45 minute nap prevails though and she wakes from it tired.  we have tried consloing her and putting her back down with no success.  she sucks her thumb often but not at this transition time.  The swing used to be our backup and would get her to finish the nap, but that only works sporadically  now.  Today we had no luck after the 45 minutes so wewent out and shwe finally went to sleep in the supermarket.

It is odd to me because there is no issues with her nighttime sleep and she can get herself to sleep at naps ( at least for the last day and half.)  She is much more awake these last few days since she started sleeping 9 huor stretches at night, maybe she just wants to stay up?\

Thanks for your reply

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
Not napping!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 04:06:26 am »
Yes, that sounded just like your LO didn't it?

I am glad to hear she is napping again, believe it or not that is an improvement.  As i am sure you have read: From 0-3 months babies work on organizing their night sleep. From 3-6 they work on organizing their day sleep.  So this 45min nap is very, very common and normal. 

I have also noticed a trend, if they sleep at night...then they go thur this 45min nap phase.  IME, she will outgrow it at about 5mos.

Let me know if we have help further  :wink: