Author Topic: Flax seed oil???  (Read 5097 times)

lil'monkey

Flax seed oil???
« on: January 16, 2006, 19:21:41 pm »
Has anyone given their lo flax seed oil?  I've heard that it contains the omega-3 fatty acids and other important nutrients that are beneficial to brain development, nervous systems, skin, etc.  I have tried to do some research on it but but there seems to be a lack of consensus as to how much to give to babies 12 mos or older.

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

Flax seed oil???
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 19:25:26 pm »
I gave it to my ds from when he was about 10mths old, I treated it like a new food, as in introduced in small amounts over a week.  I only gave him a teaspoon full.  It can be a laxative, so start small and see how it affects your lo.

Offline Ami ~ 3 girls' mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Flax seed oil???
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 20:03:39 pm »
Several brands make versions for kids.  So far we've tried fish-tasting and sour cherry.  The search continues!    :o

Offline janelle

• Showing Appreciation 16
Flax seed oil???
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 23:21:45 pm »
Yep!! WE have used it from about 9 months I think?? :?   We originally used it for its laxative effect when dd was suffering terribly with constipation.  Now it helps keep her regular and we use it for its health benefits too!!  I just cut open a capsule and squeeze it onto a spoon and she takes it straight off :shock:  :D
Liana (6)- 9th January  2004
Liam (4) - 8th March 2006
and my beautiful new bub!

Offline magicbelly

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Flax Seed Oil dosages
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 03:02:44 am »
Flax Seed Oil is an excellent source of Omega 3 EFA and they maintain a healthy immune system. EFA's are not produced in the body so they must come from food and it is one of the most crucial deficiencies amongst children.

It can be taken from the bottle or mixed with food but remember not to heat it or you will destroy its benefits. Also keep it in the fridge in a dark bottle.

If your child suffers eczema try increasing the dosage by 1tsp everyday for a few days. Fish oils are also very important.

Doses:
6-24mths 1 teaspoon
2-3yrs 2 teaspoons
3+yrs: 1 tablespoon

lil'monkey

Flax seed oil???
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 22:24:45 pm »
Thank you for all your replies.  I have decided to give dd about 1 tsp/day.  She has very bad eczema.  Do you think that the flax seed oil can help with clearing it?  ANd how long can I see the result?

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
Flax seed oil???
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 23:16:35 pm »
just wondering if anyone who has given their lo's flax seed oil has found that it made their lo's gassy??  i was going to try it but heard some negative things pertaining to gas..
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

Flax seed oil???
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 23:21:45 pm »
No gas problems here... :wink:

Quote (selected)
Do you think that the flax seed oil can help with clearing it? ANd how long can I see the result?

This was the reason I first gave it to my ds since I'd read that they work well from the inside out.  It did stop his eczema, but I also took him to a homeopath, so between the two one of them fixed it.  I have been slack with giving him the flax seed oil lately though and he is a bit patchy, so will start it up again.  I just give it straight off a teaspoon and he likes it - can't say I do!

Offline magicbelly

• Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Flax seed oil???
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 23:34:33 pm »
I am not aware of flaxseed oil causing gas but it may improve gut transit time because it is an oil so therefore there may be wind or they may be swollowing more air feeding solids.

concentrated fish supplements which contain EPA & DHA added to the diet, as well as flaxseed oil, can help with eczema. i would also consider adding Probiotics to the diet first thing in the morning. you can get babies probiotics from health food stores. if you are bf take some yourself too.

Nutrients such as zinc, mg, Vit B6, B3 & C are needed to aid conversion of EFAs into molecules critical for the body. lack of certain nutrients can stall this conversion. if the eczema is very bad you may also consider a baby multivitamin as well as the above mentioned fish oil, flaxseed oil & probiotics to the diet. i would continue for at least 3 months for results.

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 09:13:14 am »
Hi ladies this might be a silly question but where would I buy Flax seed oil? Are there any recomended brands I should ask for I had noticed somebody metioned a type designed specifically for children. This is the first time I've ever heard of it, sounds great and would love to try it.

Thanks

Offline magicbelly

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 23:32:37 pm »
health food stores stock flaxseed oil that is stored in the refridgerator section.

I havent used this brand but BioCare supply childrens fish oil (that could be opened for smaller babies) and multivitamin capsules and powders as well as Probiotics.

The Probiotics for babies mentioned is called Bifidobacterium infantis give 1/2 tsp in water for 2 months.

Biocare is UK based and do mail order http://www.biocare.co.uk. I am sure you would find other suitable brands in your country that would be more cost effective.

I use Melrose here in Australia and I know of a reputable brand in US called Puritan's Pride that also do mail order. http://www.puritan.com they have an extensive website that you can browse the stock available.

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 01:02:01 am »
kinda taking it off topic here - sorry everyone - but MAGICBELLY could u tell me more about this probiotic??  i just spoke to a lady that works at a health food store about my lo having reflux and being on zantac.  she said zantac is horrible and that is why she can't digest cereals (gets constipated and gassy) because it neutrilizes all the stomach acid so she cannot digest it, but b/c fruits and vegs are easily digestable especially when broken down it goes right through her w/o really being digested at all - hence she does not really get any good vitamins or minerals??...does this sound accurate - sounds scary to me!  she just ordered me some of the biphidus bacterium for babies as i was already taking them with meals altho she said it's not enough to make a difference in lo.  i have already tried to go w/o dairy in my diet but she said to try again...do u have any more info on babies with reflux, on zantac or any of this that i have mentioned??  again, sorry everyone to hijack the post - this is just very important to me...
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 01:11:14 am »
Probiotics can HELP w/digestion and abosorption of food by restoring gut flora to good levels, but stomach acid is another thing entirely. The probiotics work mainly in the intestines, not the stomach, unless I TOTALLY misunderstand the whole probiotics thing (we do probiotics here too! :)).

Zantac DOES neutralize stomach acid, but I'd be surprised if it neutralized ALL of it; Josie still managed to digest (at least some of) her feeds, both breast milk and formula, and eventually cereals, before she didn't need it any more. There are reflux meds which inhibit the reflux action instead of acid production; you could always look into them.

That said, probiotics are basically good for everyone, ESPECIALLY if you/your LO has been on antibiotics. You can get different kind for babies and children and adults, and it's my understanding that the more organisms and the more different KINDS of organisms you get in the probiotic, the better. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I'm going to try to watch this post.)

Offline magicbelly

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 04:54:03 am »
Sorry I has been some time since I posted.

Probiotics are for gastrointestinal and immune function health. They help to deccrease the growth of undesirable gut microbes, improve nutrient absorption, neutralise intestional toxins and eliminate parasites. A healthy bf baby has perfect gut flora but bottle-feeding, antibiotics, poor fibre diet, junk food etc can kill off our probiotic bacteria and increase the population of undesirable microorganisms.

Re: inablility to digest cereals, a baby's digestive system at 6 months is not really ready for concentrated carbohydrates such as rice, potatoes, wheat and grains,oats and barley etc. and they dont do much in the way of nutritional value anyway. If cereals are causing reflux elimate them until at least 9 months, I would avoid wheat based products for even longer. There is enough evidence around that suggests introducing wheat too early can lead to sensitivities later in life.

Remember that the aim of solids between 6-9 months is to get your baby accustomed to taking the spoon, textures and tastes. Dont be concerned about introducing everything immediately, they have the rest of their life to try everything. Start a new solid and give it consistently for at least 4 days (7 days is better).

PS have you thought about getting a Chiropractic assessment for the reflux?

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 13:15:05 pm »
K gusy, have to confess some ignorance here....I bought Flax Seed (not oil) from the Organic/health section of my grocery store.  If I ground up the seeds in my cuisinart and added them to my baby food, is that essentially the same thing as giving the oil?  I don't even know where to find the oil...but since I already spent the money on the seeds I'd like to use them if I can.  Thanks!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80