Author Topic: toddler nursing while pregnant  (Read 820 times)

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 254
toddler nursing while pregnant
« on: January 16, 2006, 22:06:45 pm »
Well, we've done it, and I'm expecting #2 shortly after dd's second birthday.  And I'm already having problems with my supply.  A couple times dd has pulled off crying (after nursing from both breasts), pointing to my breasts.  I ask her if she wants more, and she nods and cries. :cry:   I offer the first breast and she'll nurse awhile longer, but she's not really getting anything.  And she's now starting waking earlier in the morning; I feel like that bedtime feed helped top off the tank before bed, especially if she didn't exactly clean her plate at dinner (more often than not-- I feel like she eats nothing all day long now-- but that's a different post).  So I think she's waking up hungry.  I guess this is very natural, but I didn't expect it to happen so soon!  I guess I'm not asking for advice, but just wanted some support and to read the experiences of other extended nursing moms.  It's so hard to hear my baby girl cry because I'm not making enough milk for her... even if my baby girl is already 16 months old.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 00:50:26 am »
Oh Sabrina! :( Poor Mom and poor dd!  I have no words of wisdom, but I sympathise with you and I'll send you a big <hug>!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 01:32:37 am »
How are you eating and drinking? Are you sick yet? I'm trying to find the exact number of extra calories needed for pregnancy while breastfeeding. You probably are going to need somewhere between 2500-3000, are you anywhere close? That may help with supply issues.

I found it a lot easier to be pregnant while nursing, some don't, but it worked for me. I made myself eat and drink to keep up. See what you can do about your supply.

Will she take a sippy at your nursings too? Does she like flavored milk? (Grace always liked strawberry flavored  :roll: )

There is a thread going on the LLL forum about pregnant and nursing, you should check it out!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 05:03:15 am »
Thanks, Stacy.  I'm not feeling sick and I feel like all I do is eat and drink, alll day long (in between trips to the bathroom).  I'll try to tally up my calorie intake and see if I'm hitting the mark or getting close.  If not, I'll try to step it up even more.  And I'll try the sippy cup during the morning feeds, as that's the time I seem to be inadequate.  And thanks for the tip on the LLL forum-- I'll check it out tomorrow (now it's time to go to bed).

Thanks, Erin, for your {hugs}.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09