Author Topic: I've got the milk, now she won't latch on . Please Help!!  (Read 1086 times)

Offline TayTay'smummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
I've got the milk, now she won't latch on . Please Help!!
« on: January 16, 2006, 23:06:38 pm »
Hi everybody! I posted a while ago about wanting to re-lactate after a month and a half hiatus when my baby was 2 1/2 months. . . chronic low milk supply, then passed a piece of retained placenta, midwife had an AHA moment, now I feel cheated . . Well, after pumping and some fenugreek for two weeks, I've got lots of milk, engorged all over again.

Here's the problem . . I've been trying for the last two weeks to get her to latch on. But she won't. In fact, she cries when I try.  I've tried a supplemental nursing system, but that didn't work, tried dropping some milk into her mouth from my nipple to encourage her, didn't work. Tried putting some vitamin D drops cuz' they're sweet on my nipple, didn't work. Tried all sorts of positions, boppy, no boppy.

Here I am, wanting to breastfeed for bonding and for nutrition, am I going to have to pump for a year. After all this work, I'm not letting my milk dry up again, but geez' she's getting busy, don't have time to pump all the time. Don't know what to do, hope she isn't getting or going to get a breast aversion. Any suggestions, anyone, please help, I'm really desperate!!    :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Mummy to Miss Taylor (Born Sept.14/05)

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 00:53:06 am »
Do you have access to an LC or LLL group?  All I can think is that you might need some one-on-one help.  You've gotten so far already - we just need to get her there to meet you!  :shock:
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 01:40:04 am »
I agree, some in person help may be needed. So great to hear your supply is back!

One suggestion I have is carrying her in a sling with the supplemental system in place and see if you can get her to latch when sleepy. The LC may have suggestions on how to do switching with the bottle nipple for your nipple mid-feed, or how long to hold her off on a feed to get her hungry enough to nurse.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

stasztk

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 01:56:17 am »
Have you looked at this thread? I thought the things everyone came up with were awesome.

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41861&highlight=

Offline kate585

• Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 02:05:14 am »
I didn't get to see the thread Teresa pasted, but wanted to throw out the idea of a Nipple Shield.  We had to use one when ds was having trouble latching on.  It was so much easier!!!  He was tricked into thinking I was a bottle  :roll:  and he had no problems after that.  I used them for a few weeks, then dumped them.  We've been flyin' ever since.   :D

Good luck and so impressed with you!!!!
Kate,

Offline TayTay'smummy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 06:11:14 am »
Hi Ladies! Thanks for the tips. I got in touch eiyh leader from a local La Leche league and we spent about an hour on the phone chatting. She also had lots of suggestions, like lots of skin to skin contact, ect.

I layed her on my bare chest while I was rocking her to sleep. She had her soother in her mouth, so as she was drifting to sleep I tried to sneakily take her soother out and replace with my nipple, she sucked clumsily on my nipple for a few seconds and then started crying because she wanted her paci again. I tried to replace my nipple three times before giving up for the night and just let her be. This is going to be a rough ride, I just don't know the right thing to do to entice her, it's like she wants nothing to do with my boobies at all. So sad!!

I might try to offer my breast for her night feeding tonite and see what happens but I'm not holding my breath. We'll see how it goes!

Offline TayTay'smummy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 01:44:22 am »
A little bit of success in the middle of the night last night, she suckled for about one minute. But today she screamed when I tried to latch her on. Is this worth it?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 02:04:05 am »
Yes! And I agree with the nipple shield post. Do you have access to some?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline TayTay'smummy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 03:46:50 am »
I have a nipple shield, and I attempted a latch on with it several times today, it doesn't seem to be working very well.

Offline kate585

• Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 03:51:13 am »
Just wanted to come and check on you.   :D   Big (((hugs))) and YES!  it's worth it.  You can do it!!!
Kate,