Author Topic: Delay the morning feed  (Read 820 times)

Offline mrs_kat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Delay the morning feed
« on: January 16, 2006, 23:17:36 pm »
I posted on the sleep boards but didn't get any suggestions, so I'm trying here instead.

My dd is 5mo and for a while was having her last bf at 8:30p and lasting until 7:30-8:00a for her first bf.  Then she reverted to waking up between 5:00-6:30, and in the interest of getting more sleep, I just fed her and put her back down.  I think I've created an early waking habit, since I know she can last longer.  Also, although she'll eat for as long as I'll let her, I can also just feed a couple minutes and lay her down and she'll go right back to sleep.  So how can I get us back to having our first feed at the same time that we start the day, 7:30ish?

Should I give her progressively smaller feeds, or should I just try to get her back to sleep without feeding at all?  Right now, in addition to the morning "snack," she gets five bf's during the day, and at her age I should think those are enough for her to last all through the night.

Thanks for any advise!

Kat
Baby Girl Kenzi - 8/12/05

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Delay the morning feed
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 00:03:38 am »
i'd say as she is getting older, she may need the extra feeds, if the day feeds occur before bedtime at 8.30pm & no df, then I am thinking that it is a thirst issue, she deals with the hunger, but needs that small feed to deal with the thirst. It is not unusual for bf babies to do a longer stretch for a while & then stop going as long.  You can try progressively shorter feeds, but to me if a bf baby has gone 8 hours I feed as I worry about dehydration, rather than hunger.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Delay the morning feed
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 00:54:37 am »
I think Kate makes a lot of sense.  You could try offering water instead of breastmilk too...
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline mrs_kat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Delay the morning feed
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 01:27:46 am »
Wow, I never even considered thirst as an issue, but it makes a lot of sense, especially since she seems satisfied with such a short feed.  Maybe I will try an oz of water and see if she will still go back to bed.  Thank you for your insights!
Baby Girl Kenzi - 8/12/05