Author Topic: PLEASE HELP!!  (Read 1017 times)

Offline amynorwood

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 17, 2006, 06:43:53 am »
I'm writing this into my 3rd forum, because i've received no resposes or help from the first 2.  I'm desparate!!

My 10 month old has been sleeping through the night since he was 3.5 months old. We went on vacation for 2 weeks, during which he slept fine, but ever since we returned on Jan 4th, he's woken up 4-5 times per night. Our usual method of gettin him down to sleep is to pick him up out of his crib, sit in a chair with him, and let him fall asleep on our chests, then return him to his crib. However, this process can take anywhere from 5 mins to 1.5 hours. When he started waking up so many times, we tried to let him cry it out at first, and that wasn't working (for any of us), so the result is that we broke his trust for nothing.

I then heard about the PU/PD method and loved the idea. I started trying it on 1/14, and it went pretty well -- woke at 11, did PU/PD till 11:35, slept until 12:15, did PU/PD until 1am, then he slept until 5:45 (about his normal wakeup time, unfortunately). So, he only woke 2x that night --better. Then, last night (1/15) i was up with him doing PU/PD from 10:35 until 1:40 -- over 3 hours!!! I'm physically and mentally exhausted, and my back is completely racked from leaning over his crib to try to keep my hand on his back, or to help him lay back down (i'm 5'9" and his crib is on the lowest setting). I don't know what i'm doing wrong, if anything. During these 3 hours, he cried most of the time, flopped around in his crib, and at some points decided it was play time!

I need to include that yesterday we had some disruptions to his nap schedule. Usually he naps at 9-9:30 and 2-2:30 for 1.5 hrs each, ideally. Yesterday he was so tired that he fell asleep on a walk at 8:20 and slept until 9:45. So, he was REALLY tired for his 2:00 nap, and only slept for 40 mins. I tried PU/PD for the rest of the naptime (~1 hr), until it was time for his next feed at 4pm. Then, he napped late in the afternoon from 5:25 - 6:15, at which point i went in a got him up so he'd still be tired for his 8pm bedtime. I don't know if i should have allowed him to have that last nap, but he was so exhausted that i was worried about him being overtired for the night.

What do i do? I feel like i basically let him cry it out for 3 hours while i was there with him, killing my back and exhausting my voice.

Tonight, i just spent 2 hours in there with him, before giving up and sending in my wonderful husband to try.  It's not getting any better -- and i'm about to give up on this.  Please help!!!

thanks.
amy

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
PLEASE HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 07:29:05 am »
How have you been putting him down for naps before you went away?
Is he waking out of hunger/thirst... have you offered a feed, as he could be going through a growth spurt... I have always offered a feed/ when my babies wake at night if the wakings come out of the blue, as it could be a growth spurt

My thought is that after being left to cry he is very confused & needs your support. It can often get worse before it gets better with Pu/pd, but having never done it myself I can't give much advice on it.

I do think that if it is taking 3 hours, the way you are doing it isn't right for your lo at this stage of the game.

Do you calm him down before you put him to bed at bedtime? how do you do that... that may be able to be adapted to the night time wakeups.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline SophieB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • Melbourne, Australia
PLEASE HELP!!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 08:11:42 am »
Hey Amy - I'm not sure if you're online right now, but I'm happy to try and help you - I had a similar PU/PD experience at first.

I'll post this in all the forums you posted your request in, to try and find you - you need to let me know EXACTLY what you're doing and hopefully, together, we can get you through this.

I'm thinking of you Amy, and I'm sorry if you've been neglected. This is a generally really supportive community, but sometimes, everyone misses stuff.

Sorry again - PM me to let me know if you're online. I'll be here for a three hours or so, tonight.
Eleanor - 13/12/04