Author Topic: Feeding for logn enough?  (Read 808 times)

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Feeding for logn enough?
« on: January 17, 2006, 08:44:56 am »
My 12 week old used to feed very well for 20mins every 3hrs during the day but has really shortened feeding time to max of 10 mins! I am concerned that he is not getting enough milk and wanted to know whether anyone else had a similar problem and what they are doing about it. I was also wondering whether babies who only feed for 10mins are getting the hind milk?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Feeding for logn enough?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 19:18:01 pm »
Is he still going the same amount of time between feeds? That is how you know they are still getting enough, they just get very efficient. Yes, they still get the hindmilk.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Feeding for logn enough?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 09:56:50 am »
He is still going 3 hrs between feed and isnt all that hungry when i latch him on, problem is he is also goign 3 hrs atnight whereas he was onlyl waking once before so i figured he wasnt getting the calories in during the day.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Feeding for logn enough?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 19:42:13 pm »
Those frequent night wakings are pretty common at that age, due to distracted feeding during the day. Try to get him to eat for as long as you can and do breast compressions to help keep the flow quicker for him and empty the breast.

Assess at the night feed why he is waking, is he hungry or just taking the breast because it is offered? Is he eating so much at night he isn't hungry during the day and perpetuating the cycle? Or are the wakings developmental - his legs tingling and waking him up, rolling over, kicking off the swaddle?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies