Author Topic: how to increase milk supply  (Read 862 times)

Offline jdarcy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 17, 2006, 15:33:52 pm »
We've been doing pu/pd with our nearly 4-month-old DS for 1.5 weeks now.  For the last three nights, he's woken up between 1 and 4 a.m. definitely hungry and taking a full feed.  He's also waking up before the dreamfeed and taking about 4 oz (I pump so DH can do that feed).  He's also been feeding from both breasts more often than not.

Seems like he definitely needs more milk so how long will it take for my milk supply to increase?  Is there anything else I should do to help it along?

Thanks!

Offline Glynis

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
how to increase milk supply
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 16:33:31 pm »
The best thing for increasing milk supply is breastfeeding!  If he's eating more, your body will make more.  You could pump between feedings as well.  I read in another board that oatmeal is supposed to help, but I don't really understand why that's a magic milk food!
Mom to Samuel born Aug 17, 2005
& big brother Brett July 11, 1993

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 19:57:23 pm »
Quote from: stacy
Walking hungry when they didnt use to and empyting two breasts is usually a sign a baby may be ready to starts solids.  You can start them after 4 months.. its preference and your doctor can talk to you about it

The current American Acedemy of Pediatrics and World Health Organization say NO SOLIDS until 6 months of age.

For the OP: Most 4 month old babies do wake once at night to feed, sometimes twice. Has your dc not been feeding well during the day? Are there any indications of a growth spurt, have either of you been sick, is your period about to return?

It sounds like a supply issue unless the day feedings aren't going well.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Glynis

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 20:26:16 pm »
I found that Samuel started eating more at night around 4 months.  I think there are a few reasons for it, one being that I realized when he eats in the daytime, he gets distracted easily, so doesn't eat as much/long as what he should.  At nighttime, his focus is on eating.  We're trying to resolve that. 
I agree, solids should be put off as long as possible.  'Everyone' is telling us that Samuel should be having cereal now, but we're waiting for another month.  If he has to eat at night, sobeit.
Mom to Samuel born Aug 17, 2005
& big brother Brett July 11, 1993

Offline momofowen

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Summer Lovin' in MA
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 21:23:38 pm »
increasing supply :

DRINK LOTS OF WATER

Mothers milk tea, if you are in the states, you can get it at most stores that have health foods.  Outside the states, you need to have it sent to you....  this tea works wonders!

guiness- this helps not only bring milk in, but also helps make the milk muych more substantial.
**You can always go back to work, but you can never go back to having a baby**
Kristin
Owen Tyler 1/14/02
Olivia Paige 7/30/04
- Discovery Toys Sterling Consultant
*We care about ALL children!