Author Topic: 11 mo old twins won't sleep  (Read 816 times)

Offline jc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 17, 2006, 17:09:29 pm »
Hi! I know 11 mos. old... and still not sleeping through. Born at 32 weeks gestation.  We are crawling , pulling up and learned to hold our own bottles about 6 weeks ago.
We have followed several things from BW, but are having issues with sleep. We have commited several accidental parenting and props.. I really need advice.  The boys cannot fall alseep on their own and when they wake up at 9:30-10:30 pm... they are up screaming.  My hubby and I have pulled them into a bed with each of us.. he gets one I get one.
One will go back to sleep after a bottle.  They other goes back to sleep once he's with me... then wakes for a bottel about 1:30.
We did this out of survival mode... and now are paying the price.
Our day looks like this-
wake about 6:30-7:00
7:30 4 oz bottle
8:00 breakfast (trying to eat scrambled eggs on their own and I f/up with cereal)
9:9-30 Nap  usually about an hour (sometimes more, others less)
play
11:30 4 oz bottle
12: Lunch (diced vegies f/up with baby food)

1:30 Nap
3:-3:30 Snack, fruit puffs from gerber and we try the sippy cup... still not getting it)

4:30-5:00  4 oz bottle
5-5:30 Dinner diced veggies, etc and f/up with baby food

6:30 6 oz bottle
Bath
Bed around 7-7:15

They are then up a few hourslater.
We have rocked them to sleep... how do I teach independent sleep?

Do I need cribs in seperate rooms... the other room would be our master bedroom. The guest room is next to baby's room and you can hear everything.   We always rush in, b/c at days end we are so tired and don't want two screaming babies up.
Please help... last night on eof the babies I rocked for an hour... he would not go to sleep and today he would no tgo down for a nap.... which should make for a great afternoon.  I triend to let him settle himself in a pack n play in ou rbedroom and he got so upset he threw up.  Any advice woul dbe extremely helpful.
Thanks..!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
11 mo old twins won't sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 21:52:25 pm »
Wow, sounds like you have your hands full.  OK, you say you are following several things from the BW philosophy.  Which book do you have.  If you don't have The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems I would seriously recommend it, as she addresses teaching independent sleep in it.  She also goes in depth as to what you need to do for pick up/put down (PU/PD) which it sounds like you need to do in order to teach independent sleep. Your little guys need to learn how to fall asleep independently.  What happens is when they're used to being rocked to sleep, they wake up in the middle of the night and don't know how to get back to sleep - so you have to rock them back to sleep again and it continues.... 

I would imagine that you're going to have some rough nights once you start because your LOs have been falling asleep one way for the past 11 months and you're now going to change it on them, but it doesn't seem like you're getting a whole lot of sleep as it is.  Then as long as you're consistent, things should start getting better.  From what other people have told me and from what I've read, the most important time to work on independent sleep is bedtime, as that sets the tone for the night.

Not sure about your question as far as room sharing as I only have one - I would post your question on the multiples forum as we have several people on this board with twins who post there.  I know that Judy used PU/PD with her twins with good success a few times over the past few months, so she'd be a good person to ask about some of your twin issues.   

Good luck, hope this helps!