Author Topic: when and how to start expressing and storing?  (Read 909 times)

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
when and how to start expressing and storing?
« on: January 17, 2006, 22:25:10 pm »
So bfing is going well so far and now I'm trying to figure out when you can start expressing and storing milk.  I'll be going back to work when ds is 8 weeks and would also like some storage for dh to do some feeds.  When should you start pumping and when do you do it?  I think I read you can pump at the end of feeds to finish them off, is that right?  Will this make my supply go up too much so that I'll have to always pump after that certain feed?  How does this work exactly?  TIA

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
when and how to start expressing and storing?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 22:56:16 pm »
I started pumping the day I came home from the hospital.  In the early days I was pumping an extra 20 ounces A DAY!!!!  So yes go ahead and start.  I pumped after as many feeds as I could for a while because I knew when I went back to work it would not be possible for me to pump as often.  If your supply goes up or stays up for a while I don't see why it would hurt.  In the early days I fed off one side and then pumped the other.  He was more than satisfied on one side back then. 

Do you have a deep freeze?  If so you can store milk for 6months +.  If not don't pump too far ahead otherwise you will end up having to get rid of it.

Even now 14 weeks later I can pump an extra bottle off after he feeds in the morning (5 ounces extra) and I pump before bed and can get a DF for DH.  For example I feed ds at 7:00 then pump a bottle at 9:00 before I go to bed.  I go to bed at 9:30 or so.  I also pump after he eats if he decides not to eat much one feed.  I'm a bit OCD about it :oops:   I have a deep freeze full of frozen EMB.  We always use the oldest milk when I'm at work because it is only one feed per day.
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05