Author Topic: Can't get to the "calm" stage at all!  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Maryellen

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Can't get to the "calm" stage at all!
« on: January 17, 2006, 22:54:16 pm »
Hi there, I'm so confused about sleep and I need some help.

In the sleep interview, Tracy says to pick up a baby under 3 months old until he is appropriately calm, and then put him back down. On the pat/shh thread for babies under 3 months, it says that pu/pd is too stimulating for babies under 3 months, so we shouldn't do that. Which is it?

My son seems to be at a transition stage. He is 10.5 weeks old, and rocking and singing, then putting him down with my hand on him until he falls asleep no longer works (it was great for almost 2 weeks). So I started doing pu/pd. He is clearly getting more and more agitated the longer I go on, and he won't calm down at all when I pick him up. Then I tell him I'm going to put him back down and rest him in the crib, and he gets even more hysterical. I'm in a no-win situation. In fact, he starts to get really upset even as we walk down the hall to the bedroom and by then, I have to fight to swaddle him, fight to comfort him, etc. It's the most anxiety I've ever felt in my life. He resists sleep so much. I'm discouraged because Tracy says that young babies shouldn't scream when they're laid down unless they're overtired or have reflux. How do you get them to the point when they're no longer overtired if it takes hours to get them to sleep in the first place? (My son starts to yawn even right after he wakes up. Does this mean he hasn't slept long enough and I should keep him in bed? He would spend all day in there if I did that with no activity time at all!) There's a lot here that I'm asking. Maybe I should have broken it down, but I'm too wound up myself. Gah.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 23:28:18 pm »
Please don't get discuraged. *hugs* You are not alone, we've all been there, we'll do what we can to help.
The first thing we need is a copy of your basic routine, your bedtime routine (if you have one) and your nap routine.
Once we know these, we'll be able to help you much easier.
Kimberly

Offline cassidy&Jamie'smom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 01:13:39 am »
Oh Maryellen I sympathize soo much with you.  You sound as frustrated as i am.

I also have a four yr old that I cry tears of guilt for becuz it seems I am ALWAYS trying to get my 8 wk old to sleep.  She too resisits and sesists until she is an absolute mess.  I just started the pat/shh thing and have had some success to settle her initially but she does not stay down.  She keeps waking and then I try to pat and shh again but she gets so agitated.  as each cycle passes with no sleep or these 10-30 min sleeps she gets more and more wound up.  By day's end we are both a mess!!

Hang in there. You are not alone.  I keep telling myself to hang in till she is about 3-4 months and I pray it will get better.  Hoping she will finally find her thumb and I can then help her learn to self soothe.  Until then i try to get away from her at least 1 hr  aday.. sounds horrible of me but i need a break to maintain my sanity too.

Keep me posted if you have any success...   :?