Author Topic: Bottles, milk allergy and calcium  (Read 1085 times)

Offline ElleB

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Bottles, milk allergy and calcium
« on: January 18, 2006, 02:58:26 am »
DS (15 months) is allergic to cows milk protein and still having 3 x 200 mL (7 oz) bottles of soy formula a day.  He eats plenty of solids and happily drinks water and juice from a sippy cup. 

I really want to wean him off the bottle - even though he doesn't have one to go to sleep its terrible for their teeth, he's quite addicted, I'm sick of cleaning bottle sand always havign to pack one we we go away and I hate the look of toddlers sucking on bottles.  I've tried and tried to get him to have his Soy Formula from a cup but he won't have a bar of it. 

I decided last week - no more lunchtime bottle and got him a new, special sippy cup with a sucking no-spill mechanism and tried to say "this is a bottle now" no good - just cries for "ba ba".

What should I do?  He has to have the formula for the calcium as I can only give him so much soy custard and soy yoghurt each day.  Should I froget it and stop worrying about the bottles?
EB XXX

Offline Kayna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 23:14:56 pm »
Hi, just wanted to bump this because I moved it from the food allergy board. Thought you ladies would be able to help.  :wink: Thanks.
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 03:18:20 am »
Hello!  :D

Just some questions...have you tried a straw cup? Or do you have Nuby cups available in Australia?  They closely resembly a bottle nipple but are a sippy..  :D

It may take a couple of days of no formula, but if he takes water/juice from a sippy he will learn that the formula does now too.  I would only offer the formula in the sippy and no water or juice until he gets the formula down.  Of course, if he won't take ANY by the end of a meal, then offer water (not juice as you don't want him to think he'll just have to wait out the meal for juice  :wink: )I wouldn't worry about the lost calcium for those few days. 

HTH :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom