Author Topic: Vicious Circle.  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Rachel Anne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
Vicious Circle.
« on: January 18, 2006, 09:38:12 am »
Chloe is starting her day earlier and earlier.  This morning was 4.30am.

What happens is every morning when she wakes she calls for me and if it is between 4 - 6am I bring her in bed with me.  Obviously if it is the middle of the night I just put her back to bed or lay her back down again.

When I bring her into bed with me she just messes around wriggling, kicking, and most of the time aguing on which side of the bed she wants to sleep on  :twisted: .

These early starts are causing problems with her daily schedule as she goes to nursery (mon,wed thurs, fri) afternoons from 12.30 - 3.00 so she can't nap on those days and on the days that she doesn't go she naps on the couch around 1.30 - 3.0.

DH is putting pressure on me to "sort" Chloe's early starts out as he has to get up for work and could lose his job if he doesn't get enough sleep.  I go to bed around 9pm so at least I get a decent 7 hours minimum uninterupted sleep.  DH on the other hand isn't tired at that time in the evening.

As you can see its a vicous circle of early starts= early bedtime for me and for Chloe  because she gets up so early in the morning she in invarably in bed for the night between 5.30pm-6pm.  On days that she does nap she goes to bed between 7-8pm.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get Chloe to A) wake up later in the morning and B) go to bed later in the evening!
Dominic Samuel 18/7/99

Chloe Anne 22/11/02

God doesn't always give us what we want but he gives us whats good for us.

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
Vicious Circle.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 09:57:43 am »
i definately do not have any experience and i am going to watch all replies, 5.30 - 6.00 pm seems so early for bed, if you could put her to bed later could this maybe help? i do understand how hard it is to keep a child up when bed is all they want, i hope you get some experienced advice, best of luck

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Vicious Circle.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 10:31:10 am »
Mine isn't this old yet so this may sound like naive advice, but i'll give it a go!

Try doing somthing fun to keep her awake a bit longer, go to friends houses, to a restaurant with a play centre, or a soft play centre, most are open till six. you could do some of these after nusery even. Try o put her bedtime back gradually by half an hour ech time.
When she wakes in the morning, don't bring her into your bed, she's formed a habit and it is possible to break it. When she call you, go in, say its still night time (good that its still dark!), mummy is going back to bed now. She doesn't know the difference in times between you outting her back to bed if its the middle of the night or if its 5am, thats you making those decisions, so pretend its still 1am or something. if she still calls for you i would go and say its still night time, mummy is trying to sleep and give her something to do, like a book or something with a soft light on, she may amuse herself for a while, or better still fall asleep cos she's bored.

Personally i would treat it like PU/PD for younger tots, warn hubby he may be in for a few bad nights to begin with, but it should soon work itself out so will be worth all the hard work.

Good luck!!!
Kimberley

Offline ella&jack'smum

• Showing Appreciation 54
Vicious Circle.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 14:00:46 pm »
You may also want to check out my thread on Sleeping For Toddlers 'I can't go on like this much longer' (sorry don't know how to link!) for the night wakings - worked for me!
Sue

Ella Rose 07/09/02
Jack Rowan 15/03/04
Stratford upon Avon, England

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Vicious Circle.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 16:10:21 pm »
My dd was waking early for about a month between mid-December and mid-January - usually at 5:30 am, but sometimes as early as 4:45 am. :roll: We tried a lot of different things ("wake to sleep" where you go in an hr before wake up time and gently touch her a bit to alter her sleep cycle, earlier bedtimes, later bedtimes, later naptimes, shorter naps, etc. I think the "wake to sleep" helped, but I also think she was having asthma issues as she would always wake coughing, so we also dealt with room issues (removed stuffed animals, got a HEPA air filter, etc.) Don't know if any of this helps, but I know where you're at!

In terms of the early waking, I would definitely not bring her to your bed, especially since she's not sleeping there (mine is the same way). I would either 1) leave her in her bed or 2) get her up for the day so she doesn't bother your husband. I usually opted for getting my dd up, as she wouldn't go back to sleep and I hate just lying in bed awake, plus I also wanted my husband to get enough sleep (sometimes he would get up so I could get a bit more shut eye, but I'm also more of a morning person). One way or another she'll grow out of it - and I would try many of those methods I mentioned above.

Sorry so train of thought - hope something helps!
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001