Author Topic: Help with sleep pattern  (Read 1098 times)

Offline prncss

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 18, 2006, 13:25:28 pm »
Hello,

i have posted on here a few times but in reading some of the messages, i feel like I am so far off target... My son does not have 2 nights that are the same EVER. Sometimes i can get him to sleep for 2 hrs at a time... sometimes He sleeps 3 hrs and then 2 hrs... last night he was up every hour... Days are the same... no pattern to the naps... he gets tired and i feed him then he sleeps for 20 min then up for hours. He sleeps about 9 hrs a day. Maybe. He is breast fed and supplemented with formula when he is REALLY hungry. *(He gets about 8 oz formula a day.) He is nowhere near sleeping through the night... how on earth do i get him there? we do have a bedtime routine... we rarely deviate from it...But how do i get him to sleep when i see the signals? I have rocked and patted and sssh'd but no sleep! Also, he is 4.5 weeks post op open heart surgery but doing so well... I want to get him on a routine of sorts but again, it seems that i am no where near ready to do this... and i have no idea how despite reading the book! Please help!

Day schedule:
Up between 6 and 7:30
Feed for 40 min
Nap between 9 and 10 for 20 min to an hour... sometimes no nap
A and E until 1300
Attempt nap usaly no success
1500 nap for 1-3 hr usally 1 hr
A and E until 2000
bath at 2000
E to sleep at 2100 (Asleep by 2230)
up at about MN...for 40 min the again at 0230 for 40 mint then hourly

[url=http://lafemmebonita.com][img]

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Help with sleep pattern
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 13:34:39 pm »
You have your days and nights mixed.  What you want to do is swap them.

Have you got the book The Baby Whisper Solves All Your Problems?  If you have, look at pages 177-179, and that will get you sorted.

He should be having anywhere between 4 to 5 hours sleep during the day.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Help with sleep pattern
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 03:53:45 am »
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier, I hope I can help a bit. sounds like you have been through enough already

When you say he sleeps about 9hours/day, that is 9 hours in 24??? so he is chronically overtired

I think part of the problem is your lo is too overtired & is suffering "insomnia", at 3 months after "trauma" form major surgery, I would thing that an hour of awake time (that includes feeding) would be about right... so at about 55mins from awake time start to give him a wind-down routine. change nappy then sit & cuddle sing songs or something like that in a quiet place. then if you swaddle do that then put him on your shoulder & pat him until he wriggles, then put him in his bed & only pat & sh if he is upset, otherwise leave him be & go back if he gets upset.

Once you have him sleeping better, I would then try to increase the awake time to about 1.5hours (normal for a 3mo) but in the mean time, if you can't get him to sleep take him for a walk in the stroller, or a drive in the car if you can, what you need to do is ANYTHING to get him more rested. If he isn't sleeping, feed him every 3 hours, but keep things as low key as you can.

HTH

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05