Author Topic: Weaning and Cow's milk  (Read 1195 times)

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Weaning and Cow's milk
« on: January 18, 2006, 19:15:05 pm »
My lo is 12 months and breast feeds 4 times a day at 6, 11, 2, and 6:30 usually.  Do I introduce cow's milk in a sippy cup first and get him used to drinking it before I use it to wean off one feed?

I tried giving him milk yesterday at lunch for the first time and he drank it.  But today when he got up from his nap at 11:00, I gave him the milk and he didnt want it.  I waited 20 minutes, offered again and he pushed the cup away.  I ended up breastfeeding him at 12 because I was worried he would be hungry. 

So, I am wondering if I should  get him used to the idea of cow's milk first before I wean him off a feed?

Secondly, does anyone have any advice on how to wean? I'm not in a rush- (I still have 6 months before going back to work) but I would like to go down from 4 breast feeds to 2 - meaning I just want to keep his first feed and last feed on the breast.  Is that doable?

Offline kiersten's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Weaning and Cow's milk
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 14:53:25 pm »
Hi, I am in the process of doing the exact same thing, what has been suggested to me is mix the cows milk with a little bit of your expressed breastmilk until they start to get used to the taste then start to lessen the breastmilk.  I started at one feeding that she was not really interested in like her 2:00 bf I cut it out, instead I offered her the milk and a snack. I also am offering her cheese and yogurt.  She did not want it at first but I kept offering it to her and not the breast, she is now taking it and it has taken me about two weeks.

I have posted the same question in the breast feeding forum introducing cows milk if you want to look at the answers given to me. Maybe you should try to post this under the extended nursing moms maybe someone could help you there.

Good luck.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Weaning and Cow's milk
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 14:55:04 pm »
Hi, I'm not sure about some of your questions, but I BF my DD only twice a day and give her a bottle for the other 2 (she is 10.5 months) so it is possible, at least for me.  I think at the point you're at, you won't have a big supply problem.  I think when you're trying to wean off a feed, you want to offer something instead, like a snack (maybe yogurt if he won't take the milk or some cheese?) in order to distract him from the BF.