Author Topic: Question Changing Formula's to powder  (Read 1100 times)

Offline NMMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 18, 2006, 22:16:46 pm »
We have been using the premade formula to feed our little one and decided to change to the powder.  We made the formula out of filtered water.  When we gave the bottle to our 3 week old, she cried and acted like she was in pain.  Any ideas on why?  And what we can do.  We switched  back to the predone formula because we didn't know what we did to our little one.

NMMommy

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 22:23:12 pm »
Hmm...couple of questions...were you really exact with the scoops?  And did you measure the water first and THEN add the scoops?  If you do it the other way around the ratio of powder to water is incorrect.  Last question: did you mix it REALLY well?  I find that it takes a lot of shaking to get the lumps to dissolve.  I usually get DH to do the shaking cuz my arm muscles are pooched!

If you've done all these things correctly, then I'm not sure what could be wrong. 

Hope it helps!

Sarah
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Question Changing Formula's to powder
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 22:43:34 pm »
In addition to Sarah's questions, are you also offering it at the same temp that the premade was? If they get used to their food being at a certain temperature, they will often refuse it any other way.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Question Changing Formula's to powder
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 22:43:51 pm »
The ready-to-feed usually is a bit thicker.  Maybe you can make up your bottles and allow them to sit overnight to thicken.  Also, the RTF actually tastes different (I was shocked to learn that there are actually different ingredients between powder and RTF for some brands...  :shock: ). 

It may help if you make a gradual transition.  Like for a week or so, do a 75/25 bottle (liquid to powder), and gradually wean off the liquid.

Good luck!   :wink:
Sheila
ng