Author Topic: 6 month old refusing breast.  (Read 828 times)

Offline Superman'sMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 58
  • Hey Superman!
6 month old refusing breast.
« on: January 18, 2006, 23:48:56 pm »
My ds is refusing my breast. He has been off of them for a little bit but this week he has been getting worse and worse. Today I practially had to make him. He feed at 5 am and went back to sleep. Usually he wants to eat as soon as he wakes up (after naps too). That was a no go. He would take it but then after a minute he would scream and cry. He was starving and crying but he wouldn't take it. i gave him solids and he gobbled them up. I had to take him and turn all the lights off, play music, and rock him and he would eat but not like he used to, and not as much.

I am at a lose for what to do or why it is happening. He is 6 months old. He used to love to eat! I mean LOVE it. Tonight he wouldn't take them when I tried to feed he before bed. He ate for a minute and then screamed. DP gave him a bottle, which he would take occationally before to see what he would do. He ate that no problem.

It isn't his reflux. It is like he doesn't want it/like it. Could it taste bad? My doctor prescribed me to use an estrogen cream because well I have none. I have been doing that for about a week and a half. Could that be causing it? If I stop using it will it go back or am I done?

Please help I feel so rejected and sad. I really don't want to stop bfing.
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 01:53:43 am »
The estrogen cream may change the taste of your milk, or change your supply slightly, depending on how much you're taking.

I'm more inclined to wonder if it could be teething? Or has something (biting?) happened a week or so ago that he's getting a bad breast vibe?

Keep on offering, you're doing it just right to entice him onto the breast.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Superman'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 58
  • Hey Superman!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 02:28:55 am »
I am not sure. i can't find any thing on any estrogen cream affecting the taste. But is does conincide. I don't think he is teething. He is not bothered at any other time and he takes a bottle fine. I have given him motrin and if hasn't made a diffrence.  But it could be that too. It is so confusing I don't know how to go about fixing it because I can't figure out what is wrong.

Now that I think about it he DID bite me not to long ago. I jumped and yelp and it scared him. Could that be it? But it really has been gradual. Would that escalate over time? It has only been this last couple days that he has be addamitly refusing.

Thanks fro you reply. I am just so worried.
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 03:07:43 am »
hey chelsea!

ok didn't know aiden had reflux too...i do know that when dd was/is teething her reflux did get worse.  something having to do with having more saliva in their mouths, swallowing more of it irritating their poor little reflux bellies...may be part of it.

as far as biting i have to bite my tongue too.  alecks did it when she had no teeth and i wish i would have started 'disciplining' her sooner.  now she has two razor sharp teeth and thinks it's a joke when i tell her no that hurts mommy and just grins and laughs...i have now resorted to giving her a little nibble on the hand to show her it's not nice and tell her no that hurts mommy...seems to be working...altho there's a few times still she will test me!

are u/your dh giving him bm from a bottle or formula?  i would stick with the bm, even if it does affect the taste a little i think it may just be unfamiliar to him if that's what it is and he will get used to it...just my thoughts
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005