Author Topic: Teaching to Sit?  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Teaching to Sit?
« on: January 21, 2006, 01:58:55 am »
My DD (23 weeks) can roll belly to back and back to belly. And tries to military crawl (but doesn't get anywhere). But doesn't seem close to sitting and doesn't love being put in a sitting position - she keeps throwing her weight back - especially in Bumbo seat. Any ideas on how to encourage her and work on those muscles so she can be on her way to sitting unassisted?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

Re: Teaching to Sit?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 05:03:52 am »
She sounds like she's doing great and lots of moving going on there and it won't be far away.  While my dd sat at 5mths unassisted, my ds was 7mths yet he was doing all the other type of moving.  Just keep working with it, but try as much sitting without too many props so her own muscles get used to self-adjusting her rather than being always fully propped if that makes sense.  What I did with my dd was sit straddled behind her and as she got stronger I'd support her less and less and I could see her toppling sideways but then pulling herself up with me just giving a finger support to her shoulder or whatever.  Also, I found putting her in the highchair in the upright position was good because she'd need to self adjust to sit up rather than slouch.

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 13:31:17 pm »
Nikki's ideas are perfect... also, will she sit on your lap?  give her less and less support their too and maybe play some games where you bounce her a bit on your lap as she will have to start learning how to adjust her muscles to stay upright!
good luck!

Offline RosieMum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Mum to Rosie - Spirited/Angel Live in UK
    • Families Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 22:04:23 pm »
My daughter threw herself back in her Bumbo for about 2 months but then she found her own way with sitting and we started putting pillows around her (just to help her confidence). She's 8 months now and our only worry is the fact that she now things she can stand unaided!!!!!
Come and visit us at Families Forum

NYCKelly

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 21:39:11 pm »
I've been trying to get my 8th month old to sit on her own with the pillow too but she just throws herself back when she's had enough.  Same thing when I have her sitting on my lap.  Whenever she gets tired I just let her be.  I know eventually she'll come around.  Whenever she's crawling around she tries to do it on her own when she's comfortable.  I had the same situation when she first started to lie on her belly...she hated it so much but came around when she discovered it on her own.  My DD is a subborn one like her mommy :-)

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 14:57:18 pm »
I discovered yesterday that putting DD in the corner of one of the recliners and sitting in front of her on the floor worked well.  She leaned forward with her hands in front of her.  Then after a few minutes, leaned back again.  Repeat.  She thought it was great fun.  :)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 13:40:46 pm »
my friend's ds didnt sit unaided till she was 9.5 months. She almost looked as if she was unable to sit up.
One day she didnt want to sit, the next day she sat. It will happen!

try sitting on the floor with her regularly - she will start to copy you, and she'll want to sit up too. Have you tried putting her in the "frog" position? i.e. sit her on the floor, then place her hands on the floor between her legs/feet. her hands will take her weight and will balance her.

Also, put a favourite toy in front of her, and she may well lean forward for it.

You asked about strengthening the muscles. My health visitor told me to put my ds on his tummy as often as possible, as their neck muscles are built up by doing this. this helps develop their balancing skills too.

good luck!