Author Topic: One week in.....need some help! :)  (Read 1112 times)

Offline aaronsmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
One week in.....need some help! :)
« on: January 21, 2006, 15:45:20 pm »
Hello!
  We started last Friday doing pu/pd with our DS who is 9 1/2 mo.  He was only waking 1 per night, but it took us forever to get him back down since we are victims of accidental parenting and he has only slept with motion for most of his life thus far.  Naps were even worse and he was more of a "catnapper" then anything else.  Things have been MUCH better!   He is doing great with it, especially for naps, which he is now taking over 2 hours total!  Our problem lies at night.  He is still waking up, pretty much at the same time, give or take an hour.  But then after he goes back down, only taking us a few minutes, he is then waking up an hour later.  We don't rush right in, but he pulls himself up and stands there and cries.  Sometimes he falls over and hits his head on the bars.  We don't want to continue with habitual waking, thus still be doing some sort of accidental parenting, but we aren't sure what to do.  Is this nornal for a little one who is only a week into this?  Should we be doing something else?  Please help :)

~Cheri :)

Offline Sibyl3

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 21:30:44 pm »
I'm also only a week in, so not an expert by any means, but I wanted to let you know that if our 8 and half month old was doing as well as your baby, I'd be thrilled!  It sounds like you're doing great.  I'm not sure about the answer to your question.  I think you just keep putting him down when he wakes up crying, until he gets used the idea that it is sleep time.  I'm sure some of the other, more experienced, members will have more specific advice. 

Good  luck and don't give up! 

Amy

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: One week in.....need some help! :)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 02:53:48 am »
Cheri... think about it you spent 9.5months helping him have not so good habits, I think you are doing FANTASTICALLY well that you have got to where you are in 1 week... Congratulations.

I have been pretty consistent with my ds#2 & I still get nightwakings... why because it is the nature of babies, so react more to milestones than others. the Key is to keep consistent with how you approach it, don't leave him to cry, but don't respond to a a whimper.

given he is pulling himself up, it may be that he hasn't learnt to get down on his own, so spend time in the day teaching him how to sit & lie down again... I am having to do that with my ds#2 who woke 4 times last night as he had crawled himself into a sitting position & didn't seem able to get back to lying again...it is not uncommon for babies to "practice new tricks" at night & wakeup.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline aaronsmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: One week in.....need some help! :)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 21:33:29 pm »
Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I am proud of what we've accomplished given how long we "messed up."  I guess I just don't want to keep doing things wrong so I wanted to make sure we were doing this right.  We've admitted our wrongs and don't want to keep doing them.

We have been practicing sitting down but when he gets worked up he can't seem to remember anything!!! 

Thanks again for your encouragement!