Author Topic: Started solids, then lo started waking through night??!!  (Read 2261 times)

Offline larz

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Started solids, then lo started waking through night??!!
« on: January 21, 2006, 23:33:03 pm »
Hello
I just have a quick question, my dd is now 5.5 mo, when she was 4 mo I started to wean her as I thought she was ready etc, however when I started to wean, she started waking several times during the night, just crying and being restless, but wouldnt put herself back to sleep, so I would have to go in and get her back to sleep etc. I kept this up for nearly two weeks and then decided to stop the feeding until she was 6mo as maybe she really wasnt ready for it, and I was just trying to rush and I really wanted my sleep back. So I stopped. However now she is 5.5 mo, and I really think she needs solids, she is showing all the usual signs they say to look for, and of a night time when she would normally go her four hours between bottle, she is downing an extra bottle after two hours.

Saying all this I would like to start the solids again, but want to know if it is usual for them to wake up in the night when they start on solids or was it just my dd? And does it pass, and if so how long till they go back to normal sleep routines?

Any advice would be great,
Thanks Lara + Tahlia x
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline DeannaB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
    • My Blog
Re: Started solids, then lo started waking through night??!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 04:13:52 am »
I don't think starting solids has anything to do with night wakefulness, unless it is something that gives her gas or a tummyache, which shouldn't happen that late if you feed her early in the day.  It was prob just a coincidence and perhaps a growth spurt.  Also teething can start now, casueing night wakings, plus babies are going through many many milestones at this age that can throw off sleep.  For most babies this can be the start of a rollercoaster ride in the sleep department.  But just keep in mind if you have a good sleeper, just plug through and be consisent through the wakings and they will go away (soemtimes taking a week or 2 to get through them).
Zachary 9/22/01  Kalla 7/21/03
Micah 6/29/05   Maressa 2/13/07

Visit my BLOG

Offline Matka

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
  • "Brother's don't shake hands, brother's gotta hug!
Re: Started solids, then lo started waking through night??!!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 17:11:30 pm »
For what it's worth, I did the exact same thing with my ds.  I started solids at 4 months and he was waking up to 7 times a night (after sleeping through since 6 weeks).  Same thing, not hungry, just restless.  After 2 weeks, we stopped solids and went back to just bottles, and that very night he slept through again!  So, now at 5 months, we started solids again, and now it's going great.  I started with just breakfast for a week (cereal), then the next week added fruit and a veg for lunch, now this week we'll try dinner.  He has had no trouble sleeping at all.  In fact, we finally got passed the 45 min nap monster and he sleeps for 1.5-2 hours each nap!  Good luck, don't be scared to try.  I bet your lo will start sleeping right away!!
Kathy-Ann
Wife to Big Dude, Mom to Clara the one-eyed Cat, Sean Henry, and Mark Daniel
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1046198.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1150719.png[/img]