Author Topic: egg yolk allergy?  (Read 2717 times)

Offline declanjoseph

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 06, 2006, 04:09:30 am »
My ds is 9 months old and we've been staying away from egg white until he's 1.  On two occasions we've given him egg yolk (once scrambled w/ breast milk and a second time poached).  Both times he had thrown up about 2 hours after eating them and it lasted for a couple of hours until I suppose everything was out of his stomach.

I have searched the web extensively and have not found anything that indicates that babies can have a reaction to egg yolk - does anyone have anything to offer on this topic.  Not sure if this is an allergy - if so what else should we stay away from?  And do you know if this passes or will the allergy be long-term.

Thanks for your input.

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
egg yolk allergy?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 19:16:24 pm »
I found some stuff about it at http://www.kidshealth.com  .  Sorry,I don't know how to link it in here.  There is a kid section, and teen section, both had info.  Also stuff to avoid.  The good news is that most littles outgrow it by about age 5 or so.  Did he get a flu shot this year?  If so, any problems?  It and the measles shot are grown in eggs.  Mention this reaction to the doctor as well.  Hope that helps some.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
egg yolk allergy?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 23:23:27 pm »
Other info, I had an egg allergy as a baby.  Seems there was an egg custard available for babies back then. :shock:   Anyway, I grew out of it after a couple of years.  The only residual effect is that it takes me longer to digest plain eggs.  Does not bug me, found out by accident during a GI test.  Either way, DD will be avoiding eggs until she is much older.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline declanjoseph

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 06:11:40 am »
thank you for the web site.  finally, some place mentions possible allergies with the yolk.

Offline sunshine88

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 02:49:58 am »
My allergist told me that you should not give babies any part of the egg and that it is false that one or the other is okay.  I'm not sure why everywhere you read that the yolk is okay because it's not.

My son has quite a few allergies.  I noticed the egg one when I gave him some yolk at the age of 9 months - he got hives on his face a and a very red bum.  But, egg allergies in infants are quite common and a lot of kids grow out of them.  My son did! He just has other allergies to deal with now.  I think vomitting can be a sign of an allergy?? Symptoms very from person to person.  I would talk to your ped and cut out eggs until you know for sure.   
Joshua born Nov.19, 2002
Jorja born August 9, 2005