Author Topic: Cow's milk 9-12 months (same as bf'ing board)  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Pominoz

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Cow's milk 9-12 months (same as bf'ing board)
« on: January 22, 2006, 08:55:17 am »
Hi there

My dd has just turned 9mo.  For the past couple of months she has been having 3 breastfeeds a day - morning, lunchtime and evening.  She has never drunk from a bottle, but I introduced a sippy cup of water around 7 months, and she has become increasingly interested in that.  She loves solids and eats 3 good meals a day.  I am planning to wean her off the breast to a sippy cup at 1 year of age.

The thing is, she has started rejecting her evening breastfeed.  She just isn't interested - can't be bothered to wait for the let down, pulls off, and then starts crying if I persist.  So one night about a week ago I gave her some cow's milk in her sippy cup (rather than just let her not have a feed), and she drank it - not very much, maybe 50ml.  I know that in the US cow's milk before 1 is a big no-no, but here in Australia breasfed babies are allowed to drink a bit of cow's milk out of a sippy cup after 6 months.

Since then I have tried several times to give her her evening bf but she just doesn't want it.  I also tried giving her formula in her sippy cup but she didn't want that either.  But when I give her cow's milk in her sippy cup she guzzles it down!

I'm just not sure what to do.  She seems to have self-weaned off that feed, but she is only 9 months old.  Oh I should just mention - I think she is taking A LOT of milk at her morning and lunchtime breastfeeds, and she seems very hydrated etc, so I'm not particularly worried about the quantity of milk she is getting.

Anyone else been in a similar situation or have any insight?

Thanks for reading

Emma

« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 09:07:49 am by Pominoz »

Offline RosieMum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Mum to Rosie - Spirited/Angel Live in UK
    • Families Forum
Re: Cow's milk 9-12 months (same as bf'ing board)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 21:35:44 pm »
Gosh that's a hard one. In the UK we're not sposed to give cows milk til after 12 months either, but ask your health visitor, they should be able to advise. I would think that it's not going to be too much of an issue if it's full fat milk.... xx
Come and visit us at Families Forum

Offline Hubbafer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 01:33:32 am »
Anxious to hear the responses to this too .. my 8 month old ALSO refuses the bottle/formula and is strickly nursing 3-4 times a day (still has his bed-time one, but gets SOO mad if my let-down doesn't come quick enough...). He will drink water or COLD formula in a sippy cup.

In Canada - not to introduce cow's milk until 1 year old.. but SOME doctors say it's ok after 9 months...

Love to hear other comments!!
"Lucas Francesco"
Born: May 23, 2005

Offline Pominoz

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 03:25:22 am »
Glad I'm not the only one.

My dd also gets furious if my let-down doesn't happen fast enough - and unfortunately I have quite a slow let down!  I guess at least your dc will drink cold formula.  What do you intend to do?

I think I am just going to hang in there and carry on as we are until dd is 1.  She is having 2 enormous breastfeeds, and just the small amount of cow's milk at night.  I've made an appointment at the early childhood centre to discuss this at the beginning of next week, so hopefully they will have some guidance.

Interested to hear any other views.  BTW, there is a reply on the bf'ing board as well.

Emma

Offline Pominoz

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 07:11:02 am »
I brought my appointment with the early childhood nurse forward to today, so just updating as to what she advised.

She said to keep offering the evening breastfeed, but not to persist too much and cause a drama.  Then to just give water in the cup, not cow's milk.  Apparently cow's milk is OK if used in cooking, eg. I sometimes poach a fish fillet in some milk, but they wouldn't advise it in the cup.

I just hope that dd doesn't try to wean herself off the other 2 feeds. 

The nurse also advised that it is OK to start weaning onto cow's milk at 11 months.  That means we only have just over 8 weeks to go, and then we are out of the woods anyway.

All the best

Emma

Offline tp

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 23:00:47 pm »
Hi

My 12 month old son refuses any milk other than breast milk - we have tried several models of bottles/cups/feeders and all makes of formula milk.  My problem is that i have started back work 2 days a week and he refuses fluids(milk/juice/water) at nursery (except maybe 1 oz of juice if i'm lucky). At nursery they have tried very hard to get him to take the bottle, now I think he is scared of it as he wont even let it come near his mouth !  At home he normally has 4 breast feeds a day early am, prior to morning nap, one before afternoon nap and again just before bed.

I now also feel that my breast milk is decreasing (he seems to be sucking me dry too quickly - 2-3mins yet he is content to stay there sucking without any milk in return - seems like a comfort thing).  I'm really not sure where to go next ????  His nappy's don't seem to be as wet as before but he is gaining weight, pooing ok and playing really well when he doesn't have a snottery nose or fever ;)!

Looking for any advice....
Thanks
Tracy

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 23:30:23 pm »
I think at this age i would persist with a cup rather than a bottle. Have you tried cows milk in a cup? It is fine now to give him cows milk at 12months.
I just wanted to add that DD had her 8month check up yesterday and was advised that it is ok to give cows milk on cereal and in meals and they are able to have some in a cup with meals. I was advised to keep giving her formula in a bottle or cup if i wanted until 12months but as her food intake is very good i could start giving total cows milk at 11months if i wanted. That is in Australia i am not sure what is recommended in the UK and US.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline RosieMum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Mum to Rosie - Spirited/Angel Live in UK
    • Families Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 19:56:50 pm »
My HV said that it's good to introduce cows milk in food (cereals, sauces etc) at 6 months to ensure there's no allergic reaction in preparation for 12 months. Rose is fine with it but it's only 6 weeks to her birthday so I'm going to hang on til then. Good luck :)
Come and visit us at Families Forum