Author Topic: Help implementing EASY with 10 week old twins, please!  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Chana

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Moderator Rank
Help implementing EASY with 10 week old twins, please!
« on: January 22, 2006, 21:43:07 pm »
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me.  I've heard Tracy Hogg's praises sung a lot by various parents whom I respect, and am now about 3/4 of the way through "The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems" and it sounded like EASY was something we could really do with - having no routine was driving myself (and DH!) nuts, and while I understand I can't have my kids on a military "schedule", I would dearly love to be able to be in the position of having some idea how each day will play out, rather than feeling like I am at their mercy all day.

I have started trying to implement EASY and at the moment I am feeling like we're just going backwards.  Here are some of the problems I've encountered, I hope you can offer some advice!

- My babies usually fall asleep while feeding, and I find it hard to concentrate on keeping them both latched on and awake (I b/f them together).  Usually I'm able to rouse them reasonably easily at the end of a feed for a play, but at night I'm happy for them just to fall asleep and (hopefully) go right back to bed.  Is this OK?
- My biggest problem is getting the "A" to happen properly after the "E" and not having too short a cycle.  At 10 weeks, they have still been feeding every three hours around the clock (birth weights were 2.5kg and 2.7kg - both about 4.5 kg now), however lately I am having the issue (this is during the day) that they feed for about 20min, play for around 40-50min, then bed (where they often settle fine), but then up again very quickly afterwards and I don't know what to do with them.  They're normally happy to play until the next feed (three hours after the start of the previous one), but then if I do that, they're ready for sleep straight after the feed, which mucks it all up.  Am I making any sense?  Not sure what to do here.
- Bed time is driving me crazy.  Ideally, I'd like to get them in bed by 7:00pm to 7:30pm-ish.  I am not sure the best way to transition them into "bed" mode - we don't do an "A" after the feed that happens around this time (obviously), but then it is like they get up from their last "nap" of the day, feed and are meant to go straight back to bed.  Should I be getting them up a little earlier from the last nap, having some play prior to the feed, then bath, PJ's, wrap feed and bed?  Or something else?  At the moment, I try putting them to bed, but we seem to spend LOTS of time (e.g an hour or more - sometimes right up to the next feed time) trying to get them to go to sleep.  Usually after this initial chaotic period, after the next feed around 10pm ish, they seem to have found "nighttime mode" and go back to bed fine, same at the 1am and 4am feeds.
- I have not read the DF chapter yet (so this may be answered), but I tried just lifting them out of the cot to put on the breast, but they are too asleep to take it.  Are you meant to do it this way, or can I try to wake them a little by unwrapping/nappy change?

Thanks for reading my long post!  I really, really want to get this working - especially as from what I have read it may encourage some longer sleep overnight and after 10 weeks of feeding 3 hourly around the clock, I could sure use some!  We are currently trying to get into sleep school and am hoping this may help (I understand they advocate a very similar routine), but there are long waits and I'm really keen to get my babies on a routine now (and hey, maybe we'll be so successful we won't need sleep school!).

At 10 weeks old, how long should it take to get EASY going so it isn't a struggle to keep them in the routine every day?  I so wish they'd done some help/education on this kind of thing while I was in hospital - it seems like it might have been a lot easier if we'd been doing this from day one.

Cheers,
Chana
DS - Joshua, 12-Nov-2005 8:11pm
DS - Benjamin, 12-Nov-2005 8:18pm

Offline 1sttime

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Help implementing EASY with 10 week old twins, please!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 02:08:30 am »
Hi, I'm no expert and I can't imagine having twins, but I thought I'd tell you what worked for us. I had the same problem with short naps then tired too soon after feeds. I worked hard on extending the naps and then watching for tiredness and putting him back to bed as soon as he got fussy. Eventually he figured out he was supposed to eat be awake then nap. At that age my lo could only handle 45min-1hr including feed time for activity. We used to have an awful time with bedtime until we started doing a bath. Are you already doing a bath? We did very low key bath with dim lights then lotion and dressing in his room with low light then straight to bed. It was amazing- since then he goes down with barely a peep and actually knows it's bedtime. I think Tracey says it's fine to do the bath 1st if that keys them up then feed right before bed. I know routine has really helped my lo know it's bedtime. Hope that helps :).
jamie

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 09:22:36 am »
Hi Chana,

congrats on your twins and on wanting to get them on EASY. although i have used EASY for 2 kids now i have never had twins so definitely recommend you browse our multiples board and ask some questions there that might pertain specifically to the twin situation....

- My babies usually fall asleep while feeding, and I find it hard to concentrate on keeping them both latched on and awake (I b/f them together).  Usually I'm able to rouse them reasonably easily at the end of a feed for a play, but at night I'm happy for them just to fall asleep and (hopefully) go right back to bed.  Is this OK?

totally fine - most lo drift back to sleep during night feeds and i never roused mine for nighttime ones.

- My biggest problem is getting the "A" to happen properly after the "E" and not having too short a cycle.  At 10 weeks, they have still been feeding every three hours around the clock (birth weights were 2.5kg and 2.7kg - both about 4.5 kg now), however lately I am having the issue (this is during the day) that they feed for about 20min, play for around 40-50min, then bed (where they often settle fine), but then up again very quickly afterwards and I don't know what to do with them.  They're normally happy to play until the next feed (three hours after the start of the previous one), but then if I do that, they're ready for sleep straight after the feed, which mucks it all up.  Am I making any sense?  Not sure what to do here.

ok - if they are "up very quickly" this is where sleep training would come in and you woudl use shh/pat to try to resettle them back to sleep.at 10 weeks i woudl be aiming for naps of at least 1hr 30 (obviously not expecting this to happen immediately or for all sleeps, but you work on the sleep training each naptime - not sure how you handle this when both wake early from a nap - this is where Judy, woopster and the other gals with twins will be of help on the multiples board

since you say they settle fine for the nap i figure the ampount of time they are awake (sounds like roughly 1hr - 1hr10) is ok, but if they are not settling well i woudl push it back 5-10 min and see if that helps lengthen the nap, if they are settling well you also might try pushing out the A time to increase by 5-10 min (it is trial and error). in BWSYP (the latest book) tracey puts short naps down to overtiredness, lack of sleep ritual/windown, or not getting thorugh sleep cycles/self settling) so those woudl be the issues to address looking at extending the naps

- Bed time is driving me crazy.  Ideally, I'd like to get them in bed by 7:00pm to 7:30pm-ish.  I am not sure the best way to transition them into "bed" mode - we don't do an "A" after the feed that happens around this time (obviously), but then it is like they get up from their last "nap" of the day, feed and are meant to go straight back to bed.  Should I be getting them up a little earlier from the last nap, having some play prior to the feed, then bath, PJ's, wrap feed and bed?  Or something else?  At the moment, I try putting them to bed, but we seem to spend LOTS of time (e.g an hour or more - sometimes right up to the next feed time) trying to get them to go to sleep.  Usually after this initial chaotic period, after the next feed around 10pm ish, they seem to have found "nighttime mode" and go back to bed fine, same at the 1am and 4am feeds.

without seeing your fulll day routine and specific times i cannot totally comment on this. i do think the "usual" scenario woudl be to get up from the last catnap and have a little A time and then bath and feed and bedtime. depends on how late they nap until...try to avoid overstimulating them in the bath as well as that may be "winding them up".

- I have not read the DF chapter yet (so this may be answered), but I tried just lifting them out of the cot to put on the breast, but they are too asleep to take it.  Are you meant to do it this way, or can I try to wake them a little by unwrapping/nappy change?

options here are to try again in 15-20 min to try to catch them at a different stage of sleep where they might be easier to feed, or you could try the unwrapping/nappy change if they are the type to resettle easily after the feed - only trying these things will prove what works best. we always did bottle feed for Df for both girls so i woudl recommend looking on the BF board for further tips for DF with a breastfeed. when you do get it going it can take up to a week or more for it to have a knock on effect to push out night feeds to later - every kid reacts differently to the DF - the  amount they take at the feed can really vary as well so don't be disheartened if at first 1 of your lo only feeds a short while / still has same nightwakings.

At 10 weeks old, how long should it take to get EASY going so it isn't a struggle to keep them in the routine every day?

this is a million dollar question. ballpark figure is 2 weeks but there are so many variables - how much effort you put in (ie staying at home or trrying to get out and about, what their starting point is (ie if they are not being fed to sleep then it will be 1 less thing to tackle that woudl be a challlenge for another mom) etc

ask any questions you have specifically about getting EASY happening - definitely read through some of the recent posts (the 1st 3-4 pages) ont he EASY board myself and the other moderators  have given a lot of our"tips" recently about everything from darkening the room to focusing on consistency etc for getting started as a lot of people have been trying to get EASY off the ground - and a lot have been around the 10 week mark too.

Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Judy

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 11:32:35 am »
Hi Chana!!  Congratulations on having two wonderful boys!!

I have 9month old twin girls and as I type that I'm thinking "gosh, I never thought I'd make it to 9months!!".  Two small babies is tough work!  It really does get better as time moves forward and I'm still in the position to hope it smooths out even more (as I wake yet another day at 5am for the day - ACK!!)

It's a bit of a juggle to keep them both on the same 'schedule' or EASY routine but I personally found it SO important for my own sanity.

- My babies usually fall asleep while feeding, and I find it hard to concentrate on keeping them both latched on and awake (I b/f them together). Usually I'm able to rouse them reasonably easily at the end of a feed for a play, but at night I'm happy for them just to fall asleep and (hopefully) go right back to bed. Is this OK?

I would say this is perfect!  To this day I still put my girls to bed straight after that last feed.  As they get older they will be able to stay awake during their whole daytime feed but until then as long as you are rousing them after it's fine.  I think the main purpose of EASY (in my mind anyway) is to get your baby used to eating for the purpose of eating and then going to bed after being awake - so not getting used to feeding to go to sleep.  This helps them in their journey to learn independent sleep.

Quote (selected)
- My biggest problem is getting the "A" to happen properly after the "E" and not having too short a cycle. At 10 weeks, they have still been feeding every three hours around the clock (birth weights were 2.5kg and 2.7kg - both about 4.5 kg now), however lately I am having the issue (this is during the day) that they feed for about 20min, play for around 40-50min, then bed (where they often settle fine), but then up again very quickly afterwards and I don't know what to do with them. They're normally happy to play until the next feed (three hours after the start of the previous one), but then if I do that, they're ready for sleep straight after the feed, which mucks it all up. Am I making any sense? Not sure what to do here.

Is there any chance or even enough time for them to have another little catnap before that next feed?  Maybe not?  For a long long time I'd put my girls back down even if it was just 30min to the next feed - just to help them be rested enough to stay up a bit after the feed.  I often found (and still find sometimes) that if one of the girls woke early and I got her up and carried/held her for 10-15min, I could put her back down for a longer nap.  Not sure I could do this already at 10weeks - mostly depending on where in the sleep cycle the other child was so as not to wake her while doing this.  Although they become quite good at sleeping through the other's crying.  Gosh each of them can fall asleep easily if the other is fussing at the beginning of sleep.

Otherwise, say they fall asleep feeding b/c they've been up for an hour already... could they be roused after a bit?  Say let them feed the 20min and lay there snoozing for another 15min or so, could you then rouse them for some activity time?  It's hard to break this cycle but I think if you are still managing to have them wake at some point for play time and then get back to a nap without feeding to sleep you should be ok.  Again, I think the goal is to get lots of practice going to bed awake and being helped to settle in bed without nursing to sleep.  Does that make sense?

Quote (selected)
- Bed time is driving me crazy. Ideally, I'd like to get them in bed by 7:00pm to 7:30pm-ish. I am not sure the best way to transition them into "bed" mode - we don't do an "A" after the feed that happens around this time (obviously), but then it is like they get up from their last "nap" of the day, feed and are meant to go straight back to bed. Should I be getting them up a little earlier from the last nap, having some play prior to the feed, then bath, PJ's, wrap feed and bed? Or something else? At the moment, I try putting them to bed, but we seem to spend LOTS of time (e.g an hour or more - sometimes right up to the next feed time) trying to get them to go to sleep. Usually after this initial chaotic period, after the next feed around 10pm ish, they seem to have found "nighttime mode" and go back to bed fine, same at the 1am and 4am feeds.

YES!! Bedtime was so hard for us here for SOOO many months and I have 2 older children I'd already done this with with no bedtime glitches... I was at such a loss as to why I could NOT figure these two girls out ;)  (still am somedays!!)  I think you do need to have some A time in here before this last feed.  For a long time we were on 3naps or even 4naps - last one being around supper time and only for half an hour so if you are cluster feeding at this time there may be a feed at the end of their day followed by wake time and then that bedtime feed and then bed.  Although as I said it took me a long time to figure out bed time.  I think I finally just had to set it in my head how it was going to be and then I worked toward my goal rather than trying to figure out what they were doing.

Quote (selected)
- I have not read the DF chapter yet (so this may be answered), but I tried just lifting them out of the cot to put on the breast, but they are too asleep to take it. Are you meant to do it this way, or can I try to wake them a little by unwrapping/nappy change?

A true DF would happen as you've tried - while they stay asleep.  Some babies do it and others don't.  My first dd never took to it, would not open her mouth at all.  My second dd took to it right away and we did a DF with her till she was 7months old and it worked a charm at helping her sleep through.  Both girls though slept through from 9pm till 6-7am by 8weeks!!! :)  Now these two girls ;) they could do the DF but it seemed to play havoc with their sleep.  Rarely helped them to sleep longer and often just caused them to wake more often.  Eventually they were waking FOR this feed and still it wasn't giving them any longer stretches at night.  So at 6months this was the first waking I tackled with PU/PD.  Although at 10weeks I think your boys are too young for pu/pd imho.  My point being that the DF only created problems this time around for us.

Sleep school huh?  Never heard of it.  Seems a silly thing to have a wait list for sleep school :lol: but gosh what a great business idea hey?  I can see there being a wait list.  Is there a money back guarantee? :lol:  Well hopefully you won't need it.

It will balance out in time.  It's a matter of your boys learning to fall asleep on their own - and to this end, as Tracy points out in her book, I think it's important to help them and guide them to sleep without leaving them to cry alone.  They may well cry with you there in the room but this is much much different than them crying without you there.  You want as positive experiences in their beds as possible without creating bad habits.  Pat/shhh worked a charm to get my girls to sleep - but they became so dependent on it that I was up many times in the night (or with two, I was just up MOST of the night) so at 6months I finally decided I had to make some adjustments to get things on track.

Anyway, not sure if any of this helps.  We also have a MULTIPLES board you should check out.  We try to carry on a general chat about life with multiples and such.

This EASY board also has some lengthy 'chat' posts for babies of similar ages - not sure if there's one for Nov 05 or not but I'd look for it if I were you.  I participate in a thread with lots of moms of babies born in April 05 and it's great to keep up with what is going on sleep and eating wise with other similarly aged babies.  And you can get day to day input and ideas of what others have done to work out sleep.

AND of course just keep posting asking questions too.

:)

Offline Chana

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Moderator Rank
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 20:44:43 pm »
Thanks everyone so much for your replies.  I think we had a slightly better day yesterday, although it is hard to tell sometimes!

Judy - YES, you're making lots of sense about getting them to sleep in bed without having to feed to sleep.  In fact, as I type this they have just had a "textbook" wake, feed, play (well, Ben's idea of "play" wasn't much more than opening his eyes for a bit after the feed, but he fed for a lot longer than Josh!) and are having a beautiful nap having both gone to sleep themselves in bed with their dummies and NO pat/shshh (like you, I have found in trying this that they relied on it and our backs just can't take that kind of punishment!).  LOL  about the sleep school being a "business idea".  The reason there's a waiting list is that the two really good sleep schools (they're actually calling something else - I think it's "Early Parenting Education" or something fancy) are public facilities (you don't have to pay to go - Medicare covers it), so there can be a long waiting list, but parents of multiples usually get put at the top of the list.  I do have private insurance, so if I can't get in to one of the public ones in a timely fashion, we'll just pay the excess to go private (where there should be no or a very short waiting list), but my health center nurse tells me the public ones are more experienced if I'm able to get a place.

About the dream feeding - I'm rather embarassed to admit this, but in the last two to three days we've started comp feeding the last feed of the night (they didn't seem to be getting enough) and last night DH actually did the whole 11pm feed with formula as well (we have had a hellish month or so - babies had reflux and weren't settling for anything, and I am severely sleep deprived, so this is the first good block of sleep I have had since they were born), and said he managed to just wiggle the nipple of the bottle into their mouths, feed them while asleep and put back to bed.  They then slept until 3:30am (a whole 1.5 hours longer than they normally would have) - whether this is due to it being formula rather than breastmilk, them having got more (I'm begining to think I may be having supply issues - probably due to extreme fatigue) or the "dreamy" nature of the feed I am not sure!  I'm relunctant to introduce a daily formula feed as a regular thing, and can't express enough each day for a full breastmilk feed, but I am wondering if maybe trying to use nipple shields in the dream feed might help?  May try this tonight.

Oh, on the learning to sleep by themselves thing - we never leave them to cry.  I don't know if I am doing the right thing, but as soon as they are fully crying even with dummy replacing and pat/shshh we pick them up and cuddle them next to the cot until they are calm/sleepy and then put them back in bed to try again.

Again - THANK-YOU for the replies.  I'm hopeful we can get this working.  I have just remembered something Tracy said in BWSYP about how E, A and S are all interlinked.  I had thought we were having a "sleep" problem, but with the recent stuff about comp feeding, I am wondering if perhaps the problem had to do with the "E" - that they weren't getting enough to eat (especially at the end of the day), which of course was mucking up the "A" and the "E"??  What do you think?
DS - Joshua, 12-Nov-2005 8:11pm
DS - Benjamin, 12-Nov-2005 8:18pm

Judy

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 23:39:21 pm »
Sounds like you are doing great.

Not sure why you are embarassed about doing the df with formula.  If you feel ok about it and you are able to get more rest and dh likes doing it and they sleep better - then what is wrong with it?  Not sure why you worry though about supply issues.  Does it have to do with pumping?  I know for myself - when I tried to pump milk it would take me ALL day to get ONE bottle.  But I've been bf'ng both of them for the past 9months fine.  Pumping just doesn't work well for me.  Which is fine because I don't enjoy it (prolly why it doesn't work)

They should slowly be getting their biorythms set so that they sleep longer at night because it's nighttime - as we all do.  We all eat more often during the day but then manage to make a long stretch at night without food.  Hopefully it will go better and better for you very quickly.  It can be so very very VERY exhausting.

And the soothing you are doing with them next to the cot (picking up to cuddle till calm) sounds perfect to me.  That's exactly what I do with my girls now.... although there are times they don't calm and I lie them back down but then pick them straight back up again too.  I think they are overtired at that point and really want to be lying down and going to sleep but are just having trouble getting there.