Author Topic: Feeding every 2 Hours ?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Jackthomsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 22, 2006, 21:57:59 pm »
Hello,
I am new to this board and have some questions that are part about EASY and part feeding schedule so I will post to both boards.  My son, Jack, will be six weeks old on Tuesday.  He was 11 lbs 8 0z. on Wednesday.  I'm trying to get him on an EASY schedule but his eating/sleeping habits are somewhat disorganized.  I was breastfeeding (giving bottle about once per day) until about a week ago.  I'm now bottle feeding him (formula) during the day and nursing him during the night (usually about 12a.m., 3 a.m. and 7 a.m.)  He takes 4 oz at each feeding and feeds anywhere from 2 - 3 hours apart (usually 2- 2.5)  I've tried to stretch the feedings to 3 or 4 hours but he will not have it.  When he's ready - he's ready! My questions are: 

Sometimes his feedings are a bit of a nightmare...he eats very fast and get hysterical when we take the bottle away to slow him down and burp him.  (You would think we were starving him!)  He gulps tons of air giving him terrible gas and tummy aches, so I spend lots of time soothing him after feeds (which is also probably why I can't lay him down for naps).  The dr. said he might have a little reflux but b/c he is gaining weight would not recommend medicating.  I so use gas drops in his formula though.  Anyone have similar experiences and suggestions on how to make feeding time happier for my liittle man.  This doesn't happen at every feed it's almost every other or every 3rd time. 

How can I get him on an EASY schedule, which requires 3-4 hours including naps and activity when he's eating every two hours?  Also, he's already pretty much cluster feeding so how can I help him go for longer stretches during the night?  I tried dream feeding on Friday but he was so out of it it didn't work.

Even when he goes for longer feeding times, he is impossible to put down for a nap (again somewhat caused by the gas discomfort), unless we're in the car or stroller.  He doesn't even fall asleep in the swing unless he's really exhausted.

I'm sorry for the lengthy post, but I read Tracy's book in two days and have tried her methods but they don't seem to be working.  Any advice on how to implement EASY and help Jack eat and sleep more peacefully based on this information?  Thanks!

Meredith

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: Feeding every 2 Hours ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 02:28:53 am »
Hi, there.  Glad to have you with us.
Are you using the slowest flow nipple/teat with the bottle?  If so, you might want to change brands.  Not only do you not want it to flow too fast, but I think babies also need the suckling time.  At six weeks, I think feeding him at 2.5 hours is fine.  However, he could begin to make the shift within the next few weeks to 2.75-3 hrs.  Was he a low birthweight baby?
Do you give him a paci?  My dd wanted to nurse forever, even after she emptied the breast.  She just wanted to suckle, so I would pull her off and slip the paci in and she was fine.  I also sat her upright in a bouncy chair for 15-20 mins after a feeding to help with gas and digestion.  I also used gas drops with every feed, breast and bottle, and still put them in her bottles now.
As for getting him on EASY, it's going to take some time.  It doesn't happen in a few days, especially at his age.  I believe that things tend to fall into place closer to 3 months b/c newborns change so much and so often.  And the df might not happen right away either, but you should certainly give it another try.  I had to completely wake my dd for the df.  And she'd eat and go back to sleep. 
What time do you try to start your day?  If you can give me a typical day, I might be able to make some suggestions.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Jackthomsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 17:09:09 pm »
 Hi there - thanks for your response.  Jack was 9 lbs at birth and is 11lbs 8 oz now.  I'm using Dr. Brown's bottles - do you know about those?  I tried Avent and those didn't work (leaked and Jack got lots of air).  If you have suggestions on different brands let me know.  I do give him a paci too and he seems to be finding his fingers lately.

For his schedule, he usuallly gets up either at 6 or 7 and I feed him every 2-3 hours.  He rarely takes an a.m. nap (after the first feed).  He'll sleep for about 30 - 45 minutes in the late morning and then longer 2-3 hours in the early p.m. (between 2-5) and then he's up until bedtime ( 8-9).  He has a bath at about 7:30 and is usually off to dreamland (on his own) by 9:00 the latest. 

I tried the dreamfeed last night - I put him down at about 8-8:30 and df'd at 10-10:30.  He slept until about 2 and then got up again at 5 and up again for the day about about 6:45.  DOes that seem ok?  I am nursing him in the evening if that makes a difference.

Today has been different, he slept for about 30 minutes after his first feed and is now taking a second nap!  I tried the pat/shh method and it worked.  So, today may be the start of something good.  We'll see.

Thanks again for your response.  This is a great resource and I'm so happy I found it!

Offline prncss

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 18:32:44 pm »
I would suggest the playtex nurser bottles... they are the best at decreasing air. My lo has very little gas with them.  He does however eat all the time!

GOod luck! I too am working on getting EASY implemented... or trying to get some semblance of a routine!

[url=http://lafemmebonita.com][img]

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 02:20:17 am »
Sorry, I don't know anything about Dr. Brown bottles.  You could check in the bottle feeding forum, though.
Your day sounds like it went well.  I used to feed my dd around 7-7:30, then in bed by 8, and df at 10. 
You said he doesn't take an am nap.  What is his behavior?  Does he act tired, but won't go to sleep?  I would just be careful that he's not getting overtired and unable to sleep.  That's good though that he takes a long pm nap.  My only other suggestion would be to bump up the bath, say around 6:30, then feed, then bed.  It might help him get to sleep before 9 and make sure he's getting enough rest.  How are his feeding time lengths?
We're so glad to have you with us!!!
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Jackthomsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 23:39:44 pm »
Usually, when he doesn't nap, he doesn't seem effected by it. There are times where I can tell he's tired but he fights sleeping.  Doing the pat/ssh helps.  It worked yesterdya and I almost had him today.  Usually though, he doesn't seem tired or get cranky or fussy so I don't force him to go down.  My little guy is so alert for a 6 week old and I think that's maybe why he doesn't nap much. Who knows.   He woke up today with a huge smile on his face.  Today he skipped the a.m. nap again.  I had to run some errands so he napped in the car and then took another p.m. nap after feeding again.  I just fed him again and he's now up at 5:00 p.m., probably for the duration.  I think he is getting used to the formula and the bottles b/c feeding times are going much better.  I've also been watching the clock and trying to get to him before he freaks out.

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 01:32:46 am »
Sounds great.  I wonder if he has a bit of a spirited temperment to him that keeps him up instead of napping.  He may be fine for now, but keep a close eye on him.  Spirited babies can be hard to read.  They get kind of a wide-eyed look to them that makes it hard to distinguish tired from happy.  Please keep up with the ssh/pat.  Although it doesn't work every time, consistency is the key.  Even if you think you've got it licked, watch out, b/c he may need it again.  I'm so happy for you.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Jackthomsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 15:43:50 pm »
I just read a little more about Spirited babies and you may be right.  He's not 100% (not now anyway) but he does have some of the characteristics. We have a beautiful nursery that has striped walls and I'm finding this is a major distraction - even with the lights off! I'm not sure what to do about that - it took my husband an entire weekend to paint it.   I also noticed that he will be so close to deep sleep several times when I put him down, and he will thrash his arms and legs and wake himself up.  He also loses his pacifier a lot and he really needs it so I have to keep putting it in for him to get him calm again. The daytime is getting a tiny bit easier but I'm disappointed to report that he used to be able to get himself right back to sleep after night feedings and it's now taking me 45 minutes or so to get him back. And, last night he was up 3 times as compared to 1 or 2.  He did however, manage to go without a feeding from 6:15 to 1:00 a.m., which is a long time.  He had refused the bottle at 8 and I was not successful with the DF last night.  Not sure what that's all about.