Author Topic: LO has stopped drinking milk. please help.  (Read 1140 times)

Offline sarahS

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
LO has stopped drinking milk. please help.
« on: January 23, 2006, 11:11:50 am »
Hi everyone,

I have an 8 month old who has stopped drinking milk. Since he was born i have mixed Breastfeeding with bottled feeding so he has always been used to bottles but recently he just pushes the bottle away. the most i can get him the drink is 2oz if i am lucky. We are training him on a cup but that is not successful yet. The only way i can get milk into him is by mixing it in his food, but even then it is hard to get the amount he needs in a day into him. Any suggestions please.

I think part of the problem is that he doesnt want to br cradled when he is fed but also doesnt want to sit up.

He is more than happy to guzzle down solids so it is not a general eatting problem.

Thanks for any help.
SARAH

Offline jayne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
Re: LO has stopped drinking milk. please help.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 11:52:46 am »
is he teething?? i remember reading when they are teething sometimes it hurts for them to suck--can he drink from a straw? if he can do that he might be able to get some in that way..

if not i would just try to get in as much as you can--it is probaby a phase or a developmental thing.. make sure he is eating foods that will keep him hydrated also. watermelon is a good one.. you can also make your own popsicles and see if he will eat those--

hth
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 12:07:02 pm »
Hi Sarah

I agree with Jayne, it's probably just a phase. Sometimes babies just aren't hungry for milk.

If he doesn't want to bed held or sit up when feeding do you have a reclining bouncy chair thing? If so you could try feeding him in there rather than holding him, he'd be in a more reclined position too so that might help.

Also, what flow teat are you using? If you're using a slow flow one he might just be getting frustrated if the milk isn't coming fast enough - you could try moving to the next size.

love
Marie

Offline DJs mummy

• Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 16:34:22 pm »
Sorry, I have no advice as my lo is doing the exact same thing.  You are not alone though.

Offline sarahS

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 17:27:08 pm »
Thank you all so much for your help. this is the first time anyone has ever replied to me!!
He is teething quite badly at the moment, i thought that it could have been that myself, and i will try sitting him in his chair, that is a good idea thanks.
As for the teat, it is a fast flow, and the right one for his age, he has no trouble drinkning water or juice from it so i dont think that is the problem but thanks anyway.

Will try all the suggestions and sorry DJs Mummy, but always nice to know that someone else is going through the same problem as me.

THANK YOU ALL!
SARAH