Author Topic: Teething or hungry?  (Read 969 times)

Offline shells

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: January 23, 2006, 13:50:57 pm »
I am new to this site so please be patient with me.
I have a 6month old baby girl who is very spirited, she was colicky from about 3 weeks to 4 months. I put her on 3 hour easy and all  my day time crying was eliminated.  She started night waking at approx 41/2 months 4, 5,6 times a night usually I can get her back to sleep pretty fast I just re swaddle her and she is back to sleep in no time. Within the last two days her two bottom teeth have broken through and the night wakings have been down to about 2.  I am still feeding her at night 2:30am-3:30am, then back to sleep till 6:00-6:30, I just don't know if she is now eating out of habit that I have created or if she is really hungry. I would like to get her on a 4 hour routine, but due to the teething I just don't know where to start.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Teething or hungry?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 04:12:00 am »
Now she is 6months & I presume on solids the 3/4hour routine kind of gets "mixed up"

What is normal at this age is 4 day milk feeds & 1 solid feed, working towards 3 by 7months... so if you have introduced 1 or more solids, I would move to 4 hours... awake time at this age should be about 2.5 hours, so she should do about 2 x 1.5 hour naps + a 45min cat nap... they don't have to be exact, but you would expect 3 naps & around 4 hours sleep in the "day 12 hours".

With night, teething does mess it up & so does increased mobility & many other things.

Do you do a dream feed, if not a feed around 3am is not unusual & that "should" go away when solids are firmly introduced, although some babies do still need 1-2 night feeds past 6months even up to 12months old.

I also think at 6months if she needs re-swaddling to go back to sleep, it is a good time to wean her from that as she will only break out more & more as she gets older... gradually loosen it over a week or 2 .
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline shells

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 11:32:27 am »
I gave up the dream feed about 3 weeks ago, around the same time I started solids as it didn't seem to make a difference in her night time sleep. I was told yesterday by my Dr. that she should be on three solid meals a day now. I just recently got her sleeping with out her swaddle started with one arm and gradually she got the other one out her self which has been a bit better for her calming down her self. I would really like to move to a four hour routine, but I have such a had time keeping her up In the morning, she will only stay up for approx 1.5 hrs. some times she wakes up as early as 5:30am and she is wide awake ready to take on the day but by 7:00 or 7:30 started getting cranky. She has also just in the past few days refused her short nap at the end of the day. I will try and put her down between 5 and 6pm because she starts to rub her eyes yawn ect. but it turns into a screaming match so after about half hour or so I just get her up until her bed time. Here is her daily routine.

6:00-6-30 wakes
7:00 Bf
7:00-7:30 nap [1-1.5hrs]
10:00Bf
10:30 cereal
11:00-11:30 nap[30min-1hr]
1:00Bf
2:00-2:30nap[30min-1hr]
4:00Bf
4:30 cereal&veggies
7:00 bath
7:15-7:30 Bf then bed for the past week or so she has beenfalling asleep while she nurses,I think it is because she is not taking her catnap.