Author Topic: How "solid" for solids?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline devimaria

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 24, 2006, 06:34:14 am »
Hi everyone,

I have a baby boy who just turned 8 months and hes yet to cut a tooth. (oh boy I cant wait. sarcasticly) I am a bit confused about the solidity of foods Im suppose to be feeding him.  He eats bannana whole, baby crackers, chuncky cooked apple, cheerios and other tidbits Ive given him off my plate (even curry at the indian buffet) but with some with some things he acts as if he is choking. I recently cooked up some carrots and gave them a fairly good mashing but he went "ackk cc" after each bite. Like it was stuck in his throat. I got the same response from mashed baked potato and chicken breast even peas put through the proccessor w/BM. I see other babies just holding on to regular sized foods knawing (nawing..? I cant spell it! lol!) away. Should I give him the cooked carrot in a large cube? I'm just confused about the whole thing and of course like all moms totally and compleatly freaked out and paranoid. I'm sure Im not feeding him enough....we still breast feed on demand though. He has to venture away from the jars. He is always curious about what Im eating and will eat anything...I just dont know how.

I know there are lot's of "what's your baby eating" posts, but I want to know "what form is the food your baby is eating"

Thanks in advance!

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: How "solid" for solids?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 21:53:04 pm »
at 8 months, the texture you are looking at should be a thick, smooth "base" with some lumpy bits in.

the lumpy bits should be very soft, which can easily melt in the mouth, size is bigger than cooked rice. when
when you think he can handle the lumpy bits well, you can make the size bigger and bigger ... so on.

i think for finger food, cheerio and biscuits are fine, as it will melt in the mouth and it's dry and won't slip into the throat easily.

eating is the same with other development, every baby is different, so take your time and enjoy every step !

HTH
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 22:12:07 pm by sa »
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby