Author Topic: Won't stay asleep at night!?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Meller

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Won't stay asleep at night!?
« on: January 24, 2006, 18:19:04 pm »
I posted before about this but nothing seems to work. My son is 19 weeks old and when he goes down at night he won't stay down. He is on 4 hr easy, about 6oz every meal at 7-8 am then 11-12 am,pm then 3-4pm then at 7pm. I do a DF at 10-10;30pm. His last nap is usually around 5-6pm. I feed him at 7pm then to bed. I know he is not over tired. He will sleep for 45min-1hr or so then will fight till I feed him at 10pm then sleeps the whole night till 7-8am.

This has been the routine for a week or two. I don't know what to do. Last night I tried a modified CIO but he would get tired sleep for 10-20 min then wake and cry for 20 min. ARGGH!!

He goes to sleep on his own no problem, We did suffer from 45min naps but getting better. Is he maybe getting to much sleep? In the morn when he wakes he can't stay up  more than 45min. He sleeps for 2 hrs. In the afternoon he sleeps for about another 2hrs, sometimes not straight a couple 45min-1hr naps. Then his catnap around 5pm again. Is this maybe transistion age where he can't stay up longer and needs a nap but is just getting to much nap time???? Please someone give some sort of explanation?

I also want to try dropping DF but I will save that for another day!

Mel

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: Won't stay asleep at night!?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 07:02:21 am »
Hi Mel

I don't think your DS is getting too much day sleep - in fact, your day routine sounds really good. 

What do you mean by a modified CIO that you tried last night?  Tracy does not recommend Controlled Crying or CIO - she suggests you use Pick Up Put Down as your sleep training tool for a child of your DS age.  Are you familiar with PU PD?  Have you tried it?  How did it go?

My other suggestion is to have a look at how your DS is going to sleep.  You say that he is falling asleep on his own but how much are you helping him first?  How awake is he when you put him into his bed?  Are you using a Paci that is becoming a problem?  Is your DS teething?  Have you tried offering pain relief?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just nothing is jumping straight out at me.  Perhaps if we just look a little deeper......   :)

Cheers
Jo

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 12:23:36 pm »
I agree, and I also think you may want to try putting your LO down half an hour earlier. I know you say he's not overtired, you know your LO best, but he just may need that extra half hour. Its been my experience that an earlier bedtime is better then a late one.

Also what kind of bedtime routine do you have? is it the same wind down as you use for naps? If it is I recomend changing it a bit so your LO can tell the difference.
Kimberly

Offline Meller

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 17:31:40 pm »
Well I know this is bad but for naps I really don't have too much of a routine, besides swadlling, diaper change first of course, listening to his ocean wonders. Within 2 min he is fast asleep. For the evening I diaper change, jammies, play some music and sway a little. swaddle him, say night time prayer then turn on his ocean wonders and he is asleep in minutes. I do put the pacifier in but he spits it out and falls asleep with out it. I know he is dependent on the swaddle, for he wakes everytime he breaks out. We will wean him in a couple weeks when my husband is off work for a week!

I have never really tried pu/pd. I am scared this will wake him even more.He will not fall asleep in my arms by being rocked. He has only slepped in his crib from day one.  When I did Cio I went in every 10 min. He was doing more of a whimper than a cry. I would go in and just pop the paci back in. I think I am afraid of just waking him even more. It was'nt as bad last night but was still whimpering from 8-10pm. then I fed him, he would'nt stay down because he got one arm out. Reswaddled and went right back to sleep. It's just so hard when you fight with 45min naps, won't stay down at night. He was up from 4am off and on till 7;30 when I fed. Thank you so much ladies for responding!!

My worry, I don't know if this is selfish but if I put him down earlier at night will he be up earlier? I'm not sure if he is teething, He is always happy during the day. He never cries only when he fights to eat when he is over tired and at night when he won't go back to sleep.

Well I hope I answered a few of your questions. Thanks again ladies, any insight is very much appreciated

Mel

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 02:17:06 am »
Hi Mel

I wonder if the paci is also a problem?  I know you say that he spits it out but does he actually need it to fall alseep?  You could try the gradual weaning method at the top of the props board.  Also, same for the Ocean Wonders - do you think he's become dependent on it to help him off to sleep? 

It is also possible that your LO needs a feed at 4am at the moment - could be a growth spurt.  Particularly if he has trouble settling the whole way through to when you give him that feed at 7.30 - indicates to me that it might be hunger. 

Lastly, I would have to agree with Kimberly's suggestion to try and earlier bedtime - an earlier bedtime does not necessarily mean an earlier wake up time - and an overtired baby will be more likely to have trouble getting through those early morning hours when they have more trouble moving into a new sleep cycle - causing more night wakings.  It's definitely worth a try.

Good luck
Jo